Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
hunting advice.why pay outfitters?? >

hunting advice.why pay outfitters??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting advice.why pay outfitters??

Old 10-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SpinnerOfWood
An outfitter will tell you..... " Now, that deer right there will cost you $13,000... and the one beside him will cost you 25,000." Outfitters = wallet hunters!

There isn't anything farther from the truth than this statement.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive never heard of a deer hunt or trophy fee that costs ,13k let alone 25k! Also going on a paid hunt does not guarantee you're going to kill a trophy buck. To answer your question simply, the difference between an outfitter, and DIY on public land, is the same as playing golf on a public course, and having an exclusive membership to a private club. its the same game, but theres alot less people to share it with.

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 10-05-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Lanse couche couche
Outfitters= trophy bucks
Outfitters= trophy bucks=big bucks(as in lots of money)
Old 10-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by pats102862
There isn't anything farther from the truth than this statement.
WRONG! Try again.

I know some places do NOT allow you to hunt alone because their larger racked bucks are considerably larger than your typical large buck and they DON'T want you killing them...

unless you pay for that size buck! The outfitter's guides are there with you so you DON'T accidently kill the wrong trophy buck!

So there is some truth in that original statement by SpinnerOfWood. Whether it's actually up to 25k is neither here nor there.

iSnipe
Old 10-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Dominant Buck

good investigation question for your future business. I wish you luck. Many will pick an outfitter for totally different reasons. What you need to do is to determine the happy medium between profits, customers, and customers promoting you for the best guide you can be.

If I'm wrong with my assumption, spend everyday for the next 8 months in a local state park tracking deer.

Good luck!

Fieldmouse
Old 10-06-2009, 03:57 AM
Spike

For me if you only have a week or maybe 10 days to hunt a year it just makes sense to get an outfitter to increase your chances. Of course finding a good one is an entirely different story.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:14 AM
Spike

I will probably **** some people off with this OPINION, but I feel that outfitters have become so popular because American's these days want instant gratification with as little effort as possible. Outfitters provide that.

I saw one show where a dude was polar bear hunting, and the guide spotted one at first light, went and woke up his client who was sleeping in the camp the guide errected, then brought him out in his sleeping cloths to shoot the animal. And yes, the a-hole even had the nerve to get dressed in his hunting cloths and take a picture with the bear!!! Hey, to each his own, but if that is what you like then don't call yourself a hunter. Your just a person who used an animal for target practice.

For others, hunting is about getting out in nature. Watching the sun come up over the trees. Breathing the fresh air. Seeing and hearing the woods come alive with the sunrise. And of course, it is about the challenge of harvesting wildlife.

And I realize that I will never have a chance to hunt an elk or moose in Louisiana, but the animal I am hunting is irrelavent because I don't trophey hunt. For me a doe brings all the satisfaction that a 10 point buck does.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Since this thread is posting in the deer hunting section, I am assuming that the discussion is about deer outfitters.

Someone made a good point about instant gratification and being willing and able to pay very good money to kill a trophy deer. Some folks may say different and in some instances they may be right. However, I've yet to hear of someone going to Pike county Illinois and shelling out the big bucks to come home with a spike buck or doe.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

can anyone advice me on whats the best way to get started on a low budget.
Hopefully, I can answer this part of the question. It sounds like you need to find a place to hunt close by. What kind of setting do you live? Is it small town? city? suburbs? That would help us answer the question.

You certainly can hunt public land for free and certainly take deer. Public land CAN be crowded, though, and heavily pressured by other hunters. That can impact your hunting, though, and it will depend on the particular piece of land.

Good private land access can be had, though it can depend on where you are. If you are in an area that is rural, try to make some local connections with people who own land and simply ask permission if they own a good looking piece of ground. Co-workers, friends, etc. can help you here. They may have land or be connected to someone who does. Church, school, civics clubs, etc. can also be helpful with this. If they know you or they know your friends, you have a leg up.

A useful tool with this is to get a plat map from the county courthouse (mine cost about $10). It will show who owns the various plots of land. Drive the country roads looking for areas with woods, crops, water, etc. that attract deer. Use the plat map to figure out who owns the piece of land and then you can call or ask. You might discover that you know them or see that they have the same last name as someone you know. That connection might be your ticket.

You can always simply knock on a farmer's door and ask, but you should do it weeks ahead of time, and it's better if you have a connection. You don't always need a connection, though. I've gotten permission to hunt from complete strangers just because I had the courtesy to ask.

I've also found it helpful to ask permission to fish, hike, or whatever in the offseason. It's a lot easier to get permission for that and you may discover some good hunting spots. If you're polite and friendly, treat the property respectfully, etc., that landowner is going to be much more open to allowing you to hunt his property.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by stancel
I will probably **** some people off with this OPINION, but I feel that outfitters have become so popular because American's these days want instant gratification with as little effort as possible. Outfitters provide that.

I saw one show where a dude was polar bear hunting, and the guide spotted one at first light, went and woke up his client who was sleeping in the camp the guide errected, then brought him out in his sleeping cloths to shoot the animal. And yes, the a-hole even had the nerve to get dressed in his hunting cloths and take a picture with the bear!!! Hey, to each his own, but if that is what you like then don't call yourself a hunter. Your just a person who used an animal for target practice.

For others, hunting is about getting out in nature. Watching the sun come up over the trees. Breathing the fresh air. Seeing and hearing the woods come alive with the sunrise. And of course, it is about the challenge of harvesting wildlife.

And I realize that I will never have a chance to hunt an elk or moose in Louisiana, but the animal I am hunting is irrelavent because I don't trophey hunt. For me a doe brings all the satisfaction that a 10 point buck does.
You hit the nail on the head! Awesome post!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.