Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Damn Poachers.....is there anything you can do? >

Damn Poachers.....is there anything you can do?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Damn Poachers.....is there anything you can do?

Old 10-05-2009, 12:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default Damn Poachers.....is there anything you can do?

I hunt 2 different spreads.
One a privately owned farm I lease with 150+acres of woods and fields. The owners are friends. I can show up anytime of year unannounced and eat dinner with them. They are fine.

The other 20acres of a grown up old homestead.

The first is surrounded by other landowners.
I know SOME ambiguity between boundaries happens.
50 years ago, a land line may have been "The old tractor" or "big stump", so I can accept some small overlaps.

I have found cigarette butts, stands, cartridge caseings, carcasses on both.

My friends dad even rattled a poacher up one day last gun season.
Complete in full camo, including face, no orange.
I don't know how I would have reacted to that scenario. I have
had thoughts play out in my mind though.

I am pretty sure I actually DID rattle one up before, after I thought about that incident. I just never got to see him. I heard a "bleat" that just didn't soudn right.

Anyways, this is getting on my last nerve.

I have posted signs up, however a joke that is.

This is a new season, and I already see it happening again.
I have driven around the perimeter, and don't see any vehicles.
Neighbors are elderly. No strange cars in their yards..

Anyone have any ideas,....Stories,.....?

Last edited by Dan480Man; 10-05-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:33 AM
Spike

That's a tough one, since you will have to tip your hat one way or the other. If you talk to them, if your able to find them, your letting them know who you are. If you get the game warden to come in and set up a sting (ie.mechanical deer), your hopefully a little less exposed, but I'm sure it'll be in their mind to pay back the person who just put the warden on their sent.
Ultimately if you think talking to the person is better your going to have to feel them out to see what type of mood their in or how friendly they are. Speak to them kindly, even though your not very happy they are there. Act naive and assume they are lost or don't know where the boundaries are, and offer to help get them back on track. It might throw them off and think they got one over on you and leave in a half decent mood. The last thing you want is a shouting match with weapons.
Increase the traffic on the property will help out almost as much as anything else. It would be a good idea to hunt this year with couple of buddies close by and maybe the increase in people might be enough to let anyone know it is well used and will stay away.

Last edited by EasternOntarioHunter; 10-05-2009 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

First get it surveyed and clearly post it to regulation.
On 20 acres, there should be no confusion then.