Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
First muzzleloader deer yesterday morning! >

First muzzleloader deer yesterday morning!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First muzzleloader deer yesterday morning!

Old 10-04-2009, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default First muzzleloader deer yesterday morning!

We're in the final weekend of muzzleloader season here in Kansas and I managed to take a decent doe yesterday morning. Neat way to hunt.

This is also my first deer taken while stillhunting, and that's what I'm most pleased about. I've been trying to learn how to do it, so I think this deer represents progress. I was literally tiptoeing and creeping the woods and heard the leaves crunching. I was trying to pinpoint the sound when I noticed movement about 20 yds away in a little creekbed.

I made a mistake in jerking my head a little too quickly, and that got her antsy. She moved a little ways up the creek bank and stopped broadside to check me out. I was getting the rifle up as she moved, got the sights behind her shoulder the moment she stopped, and immediately fired. She ran up hill about 50 yds and dropped.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats! Have any pics? What ML, bullet, and what and how much powder were you using?
Old 10-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up

Congrats! I know several hunters who like to stalk their deer. Kudos on a nice close shot.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

pics please
Old 10-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Spike

pics would be nice
Old 10-05-2009, 03:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

congrats... but we need pics...
Old 10-05-2009, 04:24 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats, stillhunting with a MZ is great challenge and very satisfying when you fill your tag.

My 1st MZ deer was taken the same way about 15 years ago and I've been hooked ever since
Old 10-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't got pics, but may be able to get some later.

Here are the specs: CVA Bobcat, 50 cal. Someone gave it to me because he wasn't using it and it was collecting rust. I haven't really paid much attention to the bullets, other than some Remington saboted pistol slugs (45 caliber perhaps?) that came with it and 80 grains of powder. He said the combo was very good for that gun, and target practice verified it.

Last edited by Father Forkhorn; 10-05-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

good job!!!!!!nice to see anyone be so happy with deer that doesn't have a trophy rack.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the doe while still hunting!!! Its not that easy to walk up on a deer like that and shoot it with the 'ol smoke pole. I consider that a true trophy!!! Enjoy the meat......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.