Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When are fawns independant?

Old 10-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default When are fawns independant?

When abouts do fawn not depend on the mother, had a shot at a real big doe today but there were two fawns with her so i let her pass. Been reading mixed things, some say they should be dependant by now some say not. Any help would be great thanks.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Spike

I drew on a doe yesterday and was about to shoot,when two yearling ran up and one started feeding.I didnt shoot.The funny thing is,the day before the same thing happend to a freind and i called him a ....... Any day now
Old 10-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Foxontherun
I drew on a doe yesterday and was about to shoot,when two yearling ran up and one started feeding.I didnt shoot.The funny thing is,the day before the same thing happend to a freind and i called him a ....... Any day now

Sounds like three targets to me, first the fawns, then the doe.

Good eats.

Bob
Old 10-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Robert L E
Sounds like three targets to me, first the fawns, then the doe.

Good eats.

Bob
Yeah i regret it. Its not like they'er gonna starve.They didnt evan have spots.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

im pretty sure mine had spots, they did appear to be eating grass but stuck right next to mom. i just cant risk killing one deer and two babies, not worth it to me even tough this is my first year hunting and my first shot at a doe. so if they are eating grass are they not nursing? im sure ill see this deer again.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:20 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

As always, this is a personal thing. Fawns will nurse until their Mother makes them stop, even long after it is necessary. Losing their spots comes with shedding their Summer coats, nothing more. Virtually all adult does in a healthy herd will have fawns this time of the year. I would bet that most people who don't "kill does with fawns" have actually killed does with fawns without even knowing it. Personally, I don't hesitate to take any doe i see if i have the proper tag. My belief is, if they were born too late to survive without their Mother by now, they are going to have a tough Winter either way. Just my $.02. Whack em' and stack em'

Last edited by Kid; 10-02-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

no spots = mom is fair game!
Old 10-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Typical Buck

My belief is, if they were born too late to survive without their Mother by now, they are going to have a tough Winter
my thoughts exactly. Its all a personal conscience issue, the fawns will be fine.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Western MA Hunter
no spots = mom is fair game!
I agree with ^ on this but do what you think is right and wont anyone bash you over it...............or at least I wont
Old 10-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by itsslow98
When abouts do fawn not depend on the mother, had a shot at a real big doe today but there were two fawns with her so i let her pass. Been reading mixed things, some say they should be dependant by now some say not. Any help would be great thanks.
You shoot momma first and then the fawns after. They will stay right there and are easy targets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.