HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   When are fawns independant? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/305579-when-fawns-independant.html)

itsslow98 10-01-2009 07:16 PM

When are fawns independant?

When abouts do fawn not depend on the mother, had a shot at a real big doe today but there were two fawns with her so i let her pass. Been reading mixed things, some say they should be dependant by now some say not. Any help would be great thanks.

Foxontherun 10-01-2009 07:57 PM

I drew on a doe yesterday and was about to shoot,when two yearling ran up and one started feeding.I didnt shoot.The funny thing is,the day before the same thing happend to a freind and i called him a ....... Any day now

Robert L E 10-01-2009 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Foxontherun (Post 3460931)
I drew on a doe yesterday and was about to shoot,when two yearling ran up and one started feeding.I didnt shoot.The funny thing is,the day before the same thing happend to a freind and i called him a ....... Any day now

Sounds like three targets to me, first the fawns, then the doe.

Good eats.

Bob

Foxontherun 10-01-2009 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Robert L E (Post 3460942)
Sounds like three targets to me, first the fawns, then the doe.

Good eats.

Bob

Yeah i regret it. Its not like they'er gonna starve.They didnt evan have spots.

itsslow98 10-01-2009 08:36 PM

im pretty sure mine had spots, they did appear to be eating grass but stuck right next to mom. i just cant risk killing one deer and two babies, not worth it to me even tough this is my first year hunting and my first shot at a doe. so if they are eating grass are they not nursing? im sure ill see this deer again.

Kid 10-02-2009 01:20 AM

As always, this is a personal thing. Fawns will nurse until their Mother makes them stop, even long after it is necessary. Losing their spots comes with shedding their Summer coats, nothing more. Virtually all adult does in a healthy herd will have fawns this time of the year. I would bet that most people who don't "kill does with fawns" have actually killed does with fawns without even knowing it. Personally, I don't hesitate to take any doe i see if i have the proper tag. My belief is, if they were born too late to survive without their Mother by now, they are going to have a tough Winter either way. Just my $.02. Whack em' and stack em' :fighting0007:

Western MA Hunter 10-02-2009 05:09 AM

no spots = mom is fair game!

rh160kid 10-02-2009 08:50 AM

My belief is, if they were born too late to survive without their Mother by now, they are going to have a tough Winter
my thoughts exactly. Its all a personal conscience issue, the fawns will be fine.

Southern Buck 10-02-2009 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Western MA Hunter (Post 3461141)
no spots = mom is fair game!

I agree with ^ on this but do what you think is right and wont anyone bash you over it...............or at least I wont :biggrin:

Fieldmouse 10-02-2009 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by itsslow98 (Post 3460894)
When abouts do fawn not depend on the mother, had a shot at a real big doe today but there were two fawns with her so i let her pass. Been reading mixed things, some say they should be dependant by now some say not. Any help would be great thanks.

You shoot momma first and then the fawns after. They will stay right there and are easy targets.