Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

This dang gun of mine!!!

Old 09-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

Default This dang gun of mine!!!

Hey guys I am haveing some trouble sighting in my 30-06 getting pretty frustrated with it. started out about 2" high and to the left about 1.5" adjusted to the right and hit right where I wanted put another bullet in and wam hit right where I wanted shot a few more time and the bullets were hitting all over the target adjusted for the next shot wouldnt get any closer. I am shooting a 180 rem. core lokts has anyone had any trouble with these bullets or is it tha dang gun? Its got me ready to take it to the pawn shop and go and buy a brand new rifle and start with a clean slate.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Not sure how many shots you fired, but your barrel starts to heat up after a while and your groups will start to open. If I were you, I'd wait between shots to let your barrel cool down. I usually bring a .22 along with so I can plink while my targeted gun barrel is cooling off.

Also, psychologically, the negative stimulus of the bruiser going BOOM!... and shoulder THUMP!... may be influencing your pucker factor too. LOL!

iSnipe
Old 09-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

I let it cool down Id get on the wheeler and ease on down to the target and check it out then go back to the bench and sit a few minutes then Id pop another one off and repeat the process I didnt let the barrel get to hot at least I didnt think it did.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

What brand scope is on the rifle??
Old 09-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

I got a Nikon monarch on it
Old 09-29-2009, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not saying this is you, but the biggest mistake I see people make at the range ,when sighting in a rifle or slug gun, is they do not have a solid front AND rear rest. I cant tell you how many guys I see resting their guns forend, or pump handle, on a sandbag ,or 4x4 piece of wood w/ no rear bag. Some guys even rest their barrel on the bag! IMO you cannot get a accurate zero w/ out proper front and back rest, and proper shooting form. I also believe front bag placement is crucial too. I like to place the front rest about 3-4" from the front of the receiver. Also make sure your action screws are tight. MY savage ML was grouping bad a few month ago ,then I realized I did not tighten the rear action screw, after removing the breechplug. Tightened it down and groups went back to an inch.

X2 on barrel cooling, and dont swab your barrel in betwen shots.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

You were chasing the bull when you state you fine tuned and verified that changes in the POI with shots...this can lead to lots of mental fatique! Remember when assessing accuracy problems you need to formulate a check list and change one thing at time. If things check out you return them to normal and move on to the next item on your list. Many possibilities, shooter, ammo, scope and possibly gun it is a process that can easily be rushed but shouldn't be! Head back with 1 type of ammo and a cool head/fresh start to see what happens. Like said slow down and let that barrel cool bewteen groups, shoot a 3 shot intial group and don't touch the scope caps - assess the group first then react appropriately. I'd do a visual check of the scope and mounts to ensure everything is good here before heading back.

Best of Luck

Watch pressure placed on the barrel. This is a common mistake off uncoventional rests and shooting sticks.

Last edited by skeeter 7MM; 09-29-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

Tha both of you sound like you were out there watching me while I was trying to sight my rifle in, the front rest and the back rest I was useing a bag of corn. The action screws have never been checked since I have owned the gun but they are fixin to be.

Watch pressure placed on the barrel. This is a common mistake off uncoventional rests and shooting sticks. Thats a big one for me I had my hand ontop of the barrel while I was shooting, man I swear you two were watching me yall sure you aint my neighbors spying on me LOL
Thanks for the help gonna go try it again.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure your scope is fastened down good. Maybe its moving, idk.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Southern Buck
Tha both of you sound like you were out there watching me while I was trying to sight my rifle in, the front rest and the back rest I was useing a bag of corn. The action screws have never been checked since I have owned the gun but they are fixin to be.

Watch pressure placed on the barrel. This is a common mistake off uncoventional rests and shooting sticks. Thats a big one for me I had my hand ontop of the barrel while I was shooting, man I swear you two were watching me yall sure you aint my neighbors spying on me LOL
Thanks for the help gonna go try it again.
Nope! We just been there and done that! Thats all!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.