Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mossberg 500

Old 09-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Spike

Default Mossberg 500

Need some expert help. I live in Delaware. Flat land, no rifle hunting allowed or I would be taking that route. I have someone trying to sell me a 12 gauge mossberg 500 with a rifled barrel and the other barrel set up for various chokes with a scope (unsure of what power or brand) for $200. I plan to hunt deer, ducks, geese maybe doves as well. Is this a good deal on the gun? I am really looking for something that I can use for everything and that seems to be it. It would really be a starter gun for now. I will definitely upgrade later. Thank you guys ahead of time!
Old 09-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say yes, that's a good deal. Does the rifled barrel have rifle sights or a cantilever mount?
Old 09-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

Hey....lived in DE since 1993...hunted there since same time...my first gun was a 500...$200.00 is good deal if you are getting all you say and it’s in excellent condition...that 500 will serve you well for ANYTHING you want to hunt from doves to geese and deer to rabbits....get it...but be forewarned...the 500 is the HARDEST recoiling slug thrower I have ever attached to my shoulder....Lightfields shoot very well from it...but try what you want for ammo. As for the attached scope...I have a fixed power 4x32 and it has suited me fine for slug hunting...so if scope is around that power or even variable...you will be fine too as long as its not messed up.
Good luck--
PS PM me for some spots I know on state if you will be going that route--I hunt on leased land now so I will share my secrets.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Assuming it is a cantilever scope mount (mount fixed to barrel and running back over receiver) it is a good deal alright.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Spike

I have a 20 gauge mossberg 500, first shotgun got it when I was 12. I would of burned it and ran it over by now if it were not for that. Save the money you would waste on the mossberg and get a 870 combo for around 340 dollars, you will be much happier and it will serve you well. It isn't the fact that the mossberg won't kill deer, ducks, or pheasent, mine has served me well when it works. I have had a lot of trouble with mine cycleing shells, and getting jammed. I wouldn't trust it hunting, I only keep it around because it was my first.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

A fair deal on a JUNK gun. We even own 3 Moss. 500's that the kids have used and we all agree that they are cheap, clunky and have THE worst trigger you'll find. A horrible gun to try and shoot slugs through. I personally believe you should find a higher quality firearm for just a bit more. The Moss 500 is better suited for small game shooting like squirrel hunting..... NOT as a serious deer or turkey firearm.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default 500

Ever tried cleaning it?

Originally Posted by superstockbigblock
I have a 20 gauge mossberg 500, first shotgun got it when I was 12. I would of burned it and ran it over by now if it were not for that. Save the money you would waste on the mossberg and get a 870 combo for around 340 dollars, you will be much happier and it will serve you well. It isn't the fact that the mossberg won't kill deer, ducks, or pheasent, mine has served me well when it works. I have had a lot of trouble with mine cycleing shells, and getting jammed. I wouldn't trust it hunting, I only keep it around because it was my first.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Spike

I live in DE too...

Its a good deal, but I have to be honest: Mossturd sucks. If you want a slug gun, get a slug gun. I bought a Mossturd 695 bolt action slug gun for $250 and while it can be an pain to load, it hardly kicks and is very accurate. My brother has a 500 pump and its the biggest POS I've ever shouldered.

If you need an all around gun, buy an 870. Tough as nails, hunted waterfowl with it for 13 years in saltwater and everything with hardly a problem before switching to a Beretta. I cleaned it once maybe twice a year whether it needed it or not and when I did, I ran it through a parts washer. It got so bad with rusting that I eventually had to break down and paint it.

Before:

After:

Believe it or not, it patterns 3" Brenneke slugs very well with just a bead and an IC choke. You'd be able to pick up a slug barrel on craigslist or gunbroker for pretty cheap if you felt you needed it.

There's a reason Mossbergs don't hold their value, they're absolute junk.

Last edited by Bearcat912; 09-28-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:38 AM
Typical Buck

Wow I have owned Mossbergs for over 25 years and see no reason to ever trade them for a 870 . Remington makes a good gun I'm not arguing that I just like my Mossberg better So yes $200 is a good deal if the gun is in good shape
Old 09-29-2009, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 500. It functions flawlessly. Mine has a smoothbore slug barrel with rifle sights, and I can shoot 2" groups at 50 yds all day with Win Super X 2.75" rifled slugs. It is what it is, and that's not a bad thing.

You can spend more, but you don't need to. I'd try the gun, and assuming it is not beat up, you are getting an OK deal for the cantilevered mount slug barrel/bird barrel combo. I would pay less for the rifled sight barrel/bird barrel combo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.