Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting in the rain

Old 09-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Spike

Cool Hunting in the rain

Just wanted everybody's opinion on deer hunting in the rain. Light drizzle or a steadyrain is not a problem, I can stay dry. Is there a point when it is raining that it is better to call it a day or just stay out no matter how hard it is raining? What's your opinion and or experience.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by badger913
just wanted everybody's opinion on deer hunting in the rain. Light drizzle or a steadyrain is not a problem, i can stay dry. Is there a point when it is raining that it is better to call it a day or just stay out no matter how hard it is raining? What's your opinion and or experience.

deer sir...i know for a fact that deer will move in the rain, seen it with my own eyes. I live in texas and we sat through the rain all day and they did come out in it.. It was not freezing rain, but it was cold as all get out fer a texan.
They must eat, but they don have ta drink from a water source when it rains i would imagine .
Old 09-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

You can't see deer if you are not hunting.

I like to have a protected spot or two to go sit when the weather is nasty. No sense in getting rained on if you don't have to.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

In SC they will move during a light rain. They can darn near move silent then. I like to hunt when I know the rain will end during the day. The rain washes the area of your scent, and they will often move just after a heavy rain ends.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Spike

Well last weekend I sat out in the rain all day, started out as a drizzle and picked up to steady down pour. I was using my expensive supposably good rain gear i bought at bass pro and i still got soaking wet. I didn't see a thing. Not saying they werent out but they didnt travel my way. But like ya say can't kill em if your sitting at home.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Spike

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks everybody. Saturday is opening day for bow here in Ohio, and of course they are calling for rain and thunderstorms. I am going out anyway, just wanted to see some opinions. I have a tree stand and a ground blind set-up already. I figure to start out in the stand and if the thunder boomers come in move to the ground blind.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Spike

I have always found that deer will hunker down in a down pour or really nasty weather, but will move more than usual in a steady or light rain.

Personally, I hunt public land and love to see rain in the forecast. It keeps all the couch potatoes and amateurs out of the woods. I have the whole place to myself!!
Old 09-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't stand deer hunting in the rain. Duck hunting in the rain on the other hand is a different story. I may deer hunt in a light rain, but a moderate or heavy rain, no way. That's just me. I do love to hunt just after a long heavy rain though. After a long heavy rain, just about every critter in the woods will move. I know deer will move in a light to moderate rain, but in heavy rain, pretty much nothing is going to move.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by hunter0206
Well last weekend I sat out in the rain all day, started out as a drizzle and picked up to steady down pour. I was using my expensive supposably good rain gear i bought at bass pro and i still got soaking wet. I didn't see a thing. Not saying they werent out but they didnt travel my way. But like ya say can't kill em if your sitting at home.

PLEASE, don't tell me you have the Redhead Squaltex!! I just bought a jacket and pants and returning it is out of the question (see my post on basspro customer service in gear reviews).
Old 09-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

For some reason, some folks try to humanize deer, especially when talking about the weather. These deer stay in their woods all year, even during those cold, nasty winters we have here up north.
When rain comes, unless it's a complete downpour, I have seen deer moving quite often. We may hate the idea of walking around in a steady rain but the deer have been doing that their entire life. Rain does not bother them,
A light or steady rain is a great time to be in those woods.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.