Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Looking for land to hunt

Old 09-23-2009, 08:47 AM
Spike

Default Looking for land to hunt

Hello All. I'm new to this forum. Me and a buddy are looking for a place to deer hunt. We both love to bow hunt. Somewhere close to Loundon Co. VA is what we are looking for. Anybody know of any properties available to hunt?
Old 09-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

"Looking For Land To Hunt In Loundon Co. VA" may have served you better as a title for your thread.

Here in Minnesota there are many acres of National forests, public, to hunt. I realize other areas of the US are not so abundant in public areas to hunt. However, maybe you can get a topo map and a plat book map to see if/where the public land is?

I'm lucky as I've only hunted private property twice that I can recall at the moment. Not that it's better or worse, just saying.

You may have to go face-to-face with property owners and ask. If so, then dress up clean, not your Sunday best or camo clothes, just jeans and clean shirt will work. Ask for the owner of the property, smile, introduce yourself and be straight up and say why you are there. Look him/her in the eyes as much as they do you. Some people don't constantly stare at the face and eyes and some do. If you're bowhunting, be sure and point that out, as it's a plus in many land owner's minds because they think you can't get anything with a bow and arrow. LOL!

Another thing, many land owners are concerned about liability if you get hurt on their property. For these careful owners, it pays off to have a written contract in hand for them to examine. It's one you sign so that it relieves them of any possible liabilities that may arise in the event you get hurt. It would be a good thread for someone to start... asking how the wording should go for such a contract.

Best of luck to you,

iSnipe
Old 09-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a list of all the WMA's in VA. It's a start...

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/
Old 09-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Spike

Well Jason it looks like we need to hit the streets....that or go to Sky Meadows
Old 09-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

The best option for you up there...

http://www.meadwestvacohunting.com/H...Leases/FAQ.jsp