Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whats with cammo

Old 05-19-2003, 06:18 PM

Default Whats with cammo

Do you fellow hunters here know that a deer sees you the same in blaze orange as he would, oh say any brand of hunting cammo. I just would like to here some other hunters oppinions, and yes i do no cammo is a helpfull part of huntin' .
Old 05-19-2003, 08:44 PM

Default RE: Whats with cammo

camo breaks your outline up . solid color is easier to spot movement
Old 05-19-2003, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Although deer do not see colours as we do they still see different shades and do see outlines.Camo does help you to blend in by breaking up outlines and eliminating contrasting shades.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like the others said it is used to break up outline and shades, which helps conceal you and movements. Now in Saskatchewan it is illegal to use camo in an open big game rifle season, it is only allowed in Archery and Muzzleloading seasons. So I were both solid colour and camo clothing in a given year. The key to any concealment is backing and use the lay of the land to help conceal you and your movements. While camo talkes it another notch higher, it will not help a hill of beans if you don' t use it in the most advantageous way.
Old 05-20-2003, 06:15 AM

Any pattern that will break up your outlline is a benefit. I could wear my wifes
flowery green dress and get the same effect as alot of the camo patterns out there. [] (Just an example[:-])
I have seen a difference over the years in the deers reactions when they first spot you wearing a good camo and when your not.
Old 05-20-2003, 06:40 AM

My car is a solid color and they sure do like to stand in front of that when I' m comming down the road.

Like others have said I use it to breakup the outline.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

I wear it because it makes me look like I am doing something, like I am a hunter not some Joe off the street.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:55 AM

The camo helps break up your outline which helps you from the deer seeing movement.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:29 AM
Matriarch Doe!

benhuntin said:
I could wear my wifes
flowery green dress and get the same effect as alot of the camo patterns out there.
LOL! And you could save money not buying ammo, since the deer would probably laugh themselves to death!
Old 05-20-2003, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Camoflage is basically a waste of money for open-range rifle hunters...deer can' t see for crap in the day, they can detect movement extremely well, but they won' t just pick your outline out at 100+ yrds. I bought all of my cammo for Bowhunting, and tend to wear it rifle hunting because I take short range weapons sometimes(handguns or short range cartridges), or just because they are the warmest clothes I have, but the cammo pattern on them I don' t think helps me any...I used to hunt wearing blue jeans and an orange sweater, or tan coveralls with orange vests, and I hunted by this motto, What you wear doesn' t matter, because by the time they see you, they' re heart' s already stopped beating. Just don' t move a lot and they can' t see you at long ranges, but you' re high powered rifle can reach out and bag them with no problem.

In the woods, it makes a lot of difference though, when you have to get in closer than 100yrds, cammo is a necessity, I really like leafy wear, or ghillie suits<---very heavy though, and kind of hard wearing, but VERY EFFECTIVE and warm. If you don' t like ghillies, or can' t afford a leafy suit, you can do like I do, I usually " ghillie-up" and " veg-out" my regular cammo quite a bit before hunts, using some naturals too. If you' re really worried about your big orange flat screen on your chest/back, there are a number of things you can do to break it up. You just have to have 100 sq.in. in KS, so if you have a full orange vest on, tacking on a couple leaves and some thick yarn/cord to look like branches/twigs, or simply painting a stick-camo design on helps break up that solid blob, add some ghillie pins (3-6 strips of brown, black, grey, green fabric an inch-2" wide and ~14" -18" long folded in half and secured with a safety pin), and some cord and maybe add some swatches of fabric to look like leaves, or real leaves, and you' re more than good to go. My set up works well enough my buddies can' t even find me when I' m in my blinds, when they helped me build them!!

Quick Reply: Whats with cammo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.