Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What's up with this doe?

Old 09-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default What's up with this doe?

The bigger one (left in 1st photo, right in 2nd). I saw her last fall with this then fawn, now a yearling, and it looked like she had a duffle bag of skin hanging down underneath. I'm thinking its either a dead fawn that didn't drop or a tumor of some sort.

P.S. Yes I know there's corn in the picture. I do throw down 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket when I go to check my camera every couple of weeks, but I stop at the end of August, several weeks before season and make sure its all gone the minimum 10 days before season starts.
Attached Thumbnails What's up with this doe?-010.jpg   What's up with this doe?-014.jpg  

Last edited by minnesotadeer; 09-08-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like a tumor.. an unborn fawn should slowly deteriorate or decompose even if it is inside her body.. especially if you said you saw her the same way the year before..
Old 09-09-2009, 03:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

The problem is shes from MN and is probably a Vikings fan....lol...no just kiddin, looks like a tumor to me.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:15 AM
Typical Buck

Looks to be a "lipoma", very common on animals and humans. She should be perfectly fine, it doesn't look to be in the peritoneal cavity. Looks like a nice healthy animal to me.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

Its a tumor
Old 09-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

So is something like that painful? I wouldn't think it was causing serious harm since she looks healthy and had it last fall. I only get one tag in my area now so I'm not going to be taking a shot on her if presented. If I was in an intensive harvest area (5 deer limit), I might think of taking the shot and not eating the meat if it would help her and the herd. But something tell's me she's fine and that it's not something she's going to pass on.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by minnesotadeer
So is something like that painful? I wouldn't think it was causing serious harm since she looks healthy and had it last fall. I only get one tag in my area now so I'm not going to be taking a shot on her if presented. If I was in an intensive harvest area (5 deer limit), I might think of taking the shot and not eating the meat if it would help her and the herd. But something tell's me she's fine and that it's not something she's going to pass on.
lipomas shouldn't be painful at all, more of a nuisance, then anything. It is a mass of fat cells that are benign in nature. It will probably grow over time, but she does look very healthy. This type of tumor shouldn't affect the meat at all. I hope that helps.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mgreen81
Its a tumor
Yes, it is a tumor. But when you hear the word tumor everyone thinks of Cancer or something that will cause pain and/or death. Which is probably not the case here.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

Looks like a large tumor/mass to me.

Is there any possibility that this deer could have been shot or hit by a car?
Old 09-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen them on deer before. Some times if they get very "watery" they will burst open and let all the fluids out. I have seen some nasty ones and I think a couple on this site. Generally the wound will heal in time but I am not sure if the tumor will grow back. Has anyone else ever heard of what I am talking about? I hope they are the same thing because I dont want to send out bad information.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.