Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rattling antlers

Old 09-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Spike

Default Rattling antlers

I wasn't able to find dropped antlers on my little bit of property and was wondering if anyone uses a rattling system from any brand,(primos, knight and hale, etc.) and if so I would appreciate some feedback on anything
Old 09-07-2009, 02:27 AM
Spike

I bought one of those rattling bags last season just before muzzel loader season. It was more of a tongue in cheek purchase, but while out, I tried it, and within a minute, I had two good sized bucks come in off of opposing ridges (I was down in a hollow). I bagged a nice 8 pointer. I do not remember the brand right now, but I was impressed with it, and it is much easier to carry than a set of sheds. I would highly reccomed getting a rattling bag. I got mine at Wally world. I will have to look later for the brand.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:23 AM
Spike

I have the same rattling bag I think that it is made by Knight and Hale??? They also have that new system out by Primo, that is a round contraption that you turn back and forth, I am not sure how good it is but they claim it is very close to the real thing. We will see.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:40 AM
Typical Buck

You know that mount in the living room that your wife hates?? cut them off. That will give you an excuse to get another one mounted.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:05 AM
Dominant Buck

I went through real antlers and then fake ones then a rattle bag. they all work to some degree but the rattle bag is much easier to carry and use. That is all I use now and always have one in my pack.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by teedub31
You know that mount in the living room that your wife hates?? cut them off. That will give you an excuse to get another one mounted.
LMAO !!
Old 09-08-2009, 02:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

One thing I look for is a good set of antlers at flee markets. They can be pretty cheap and they have no valued memories for me so I dont hesitate cutting the brow tines off and soaking them in water for a couple days. You cant replicate the exacat sound of real bone hitting eachother. The only problem is, they can be a hassle carrying back and forth. I use a Primos Rattle Bag when I rattle. But it all depends on what I see for a balance during the early season. If there are too many does and not enough bucks I wont rattle hardly at all.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Spike

At one time, it seemed like your best option for a nice rack was to sacrifice a trophy set of antlers off the wall in hopes of luring in a bigger, better set.

The alternative was the luck of coming upon a freshly shed set in the woods – fresh because as they sit drying out and are exposed to the elements, they lose some of their thunder.

Thanks to the advances of technology, however, you don’t really have to make the choice. If you’re hunting solo but want to rattle, a rattling bag might be the way to go.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

I have used two different ones over the last twenty odd years the first one is a wood wise bag that has the wooden dowles in it. It works great as long as you keep it dry. The last few years i've been using a Knight & Hale rattle bag. I have rattled in quite a few with both bags.