Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Deer Dander, Rampage, VK, or Doe in need? >

Deer Dander, Rampage, VK, or Doe in need?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Dander, Rampage, VK, or Doe in need?

Old 09-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default Deer Dander, Rampage, VK, or Doe in need?

I know there are several guys that have used the deer dander on here and have said really good things about it. Has anybody used any of these other products? If so, can you give opinions on them?
Old 09-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by supaflav
I know there are several guys that have used the deer dander on here and have said really good things about it. Has anybody used any of these other products? If so, can you give opinions on them?
I tried VK about 10-12yrs ago when Dan Fitzgerald first introduced it. It scared every deer out of the area i was hunting!! Save your money and just buy a bottle of vanilla extract from the grocery store cuz thats all it was. I am now aware of what products that have a foreign smell to deer tend to do. IMO its garbage.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rh160kid
I tried VK about 10-12yrs ago when Dan Fitzgerald first introduced it. It scared every deer out of the area i was hunting!! Save your money and just buy a bottle of vanilla extract from the grocery store cuz thats all it was. I am now aware of what products that have a foreign smell to deer tend to do. IMO its garbage.
Thanks for the tip on the VK. I never really understood what the attraction of vanilla would be to a deer anyway. I was more curious of the doe in need, and the rut stuff. I tend to have more success with a buck scent, than a doe scent. Especially over the trail cameras.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most likely he used too much VK.(or left scent contamination) Quite often if you too much of something, it can overload the deer's nose and startle it. Especially when they just walk right up on it and get that first initial whiff!

I've used deer lures for many years. I use to be a huge bowhunting fanatic hunting as much as a 100 days a year. While using deer lures I found a few things of interest...

- None of them really drawed them away any amount of distance from where they were headed.

- If they get a blast of the lure at close range, like when using too much, they jump back as if they got electrocuted. LOL!

- Deer only smell when they INHALE through their nose. I've seen when there's a cross wind across the trail and the deer didn't even smell it. The air stream was too narrow. Now if the deer was downwind, then they would smell it. Often this is because their head is up and the lure is near or on the ground... then the odor moves away from where they are walking.

- Lures when used in moderate fashion, ie, not too much, they make for great attention getters and can help immensely in stopping a deer for a shot. It also helps greatly to first create an "eye appeal", like a scrape, then place the lure in that. They first see the scrape, then stop and bend down to smell it.

- VK works good for me at stopping a deer, but it doesn't "draw" them in from any distance. I use it to get them to stop for shot placement. If I place it too far off the trail, and if it's upwind, they'll stop and smell the air. I don't see them racing towards the smell to get a better whiff though. LOL!

Hope that helps.

iSnipe

Last edited by iSnipe; 09-03-2009 at 02:57 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by supaflav
Thanks for the tip on the VK. I never really understood what the attraction of vanilla would be to a deer anyway. I was more curious of the doe in need, and the rut stuff. I tend to have more success with a buck scent, than a doe scent. Especially over the trail cameras.
Vanilla smells a lot like white oak acorns, one of their very favorite foods. Not a good choice if a rutting buck is what you want, though it might draw what he wants to you and drag him along for the ride.

Estrous pee and doe pee have produced similar results for me, neither have ever produced well though. It's the ammonia from the urine degrading that initially attracts their attention, a couple of drops of clear ammonia in a few ounces of water will get their attention just as quickly, and costs a lot less.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use VK with good results for Doe's and it works great for Bears!!!

hatchet Jack