Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Shooting at deer with bow from tree? >

Shooting at deer with bow from tree?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shooting at deer with bow from tree?

Old 08-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Spike

Default Shooting at deer with bow from tree?

Do you aim a littel high or low to make up for the angel in which you are at by being up in a tree stand at about 20 feet? Thanks Drew
Old 08-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't aim high or low, just bend at the waist to prevent changing your anchor point. If you move your bow arm down to aim without bending at the waist, your shot will likely be high.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RIStrutStopper
Don't aim high or low, just bend at the waist to prevent changing your anchor point. If you move your bow arm down to aim without bending at the waist, your shot will likely be high.
Great point made here.

I would also suggest practicing shooting your bow from 20 feet up. That will answer a lot.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rogercampbell1986
Do you aim a littel high or low to make up for the angel in which you are at by being up in a tree stand at about 20 feet? Thanks Drew
how far are you shooting from your tree? severe downward angles you will need to aim low-even when you do bend at your waist. Aim where you want the arrow to exit on the other side
Old 08-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by rh160kid
how far are you shooting from your tree? severe downward angles you will need to aim low-even when you do bend at your waist. Aim where you want the arrow to exit on the other side
No more then 40 yards! I just want to get my facts straight thanks
Old 08-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

15 yards and out you will be fine putting you pin right on it-under 15 yds to straight down shots you will need to aim low.Strutstopper and JImmys both make very good points tho-bend at your waist and practice from the height you will be hunting at. The last month b4 the season opens i strictly shoot out of a practice stand i hang in my yard. Get a deer 3d target and practice at those angles. i have a buddy move my deer target all over then i shoot as if it were a real deer. he pulls my arrows and keeps moving it. we take turns doing this-there is no better practice for hunting.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

any angle shot you must compinsate by aiming lower....steeper the angle the more you have to adjust...

ie horizontal distance not direct distance...
Old 08-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

The best way to know is get in your tree stand with your hunting clothes in and the broadheads you will use and see where YOU hit...

There is much that can go wrong when 20 feet up in a tree trying to shoot down at a deer...

Trust me...I know...

Why spend all the time/money on this sport and not know what will happen...

I've seen anchor points move from the mesh camo worn...Hat brims that interfere with the string...Peeps that don't line up like they should...Harnesses that don't bend with the hunter...Limbs hit the side of the stand...Rests that don't cut it when bending down...

Any of these can spoil a hunt...
Old 08-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Typical Buck

figure out yardage on your own to practice for times when you dont have the oppurtunity to use a rangefinder-A couple days before the season i put all my hunting clothes on that i will be wearing on my hunts-including gloves and facemask. This will let you know if anything causes an interference. years ago i missed a buck opening day cuz my bowstring slapped my new coat. since then i always practice at least once with my hunting clothes on!!
Old 08-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
The best way to know is get in your tree stand with your hunting clothes in and the broadheads you will use and see where YOU hit...

There is much that can go wrong when 20 feet up in a tree trying to shoot down at a deer...

Trust me...I know...

Why spend all the time/money on this sport and not know what will happen...

I've seen anchor points move from the mesh camo worn...Hat brims that interfere with the string...Peeps that don't line up like they should...Harnesses that don't bend with the hunter...Limbs hit the side of the stand...Rests that don't cut it when bending down...

Any of these can spoil a hunt...
Beat me to it!! great point!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.