Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Much Luck with the Tarsal Gland? >

Much Luck with the Tarsal Gland?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Much Luck with the Tarsal Gland?

Old 08-27-2009, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default Much Luck with the Tarsal Gland?

Wondering how much luck you guys have had who have used the tarsal gland for one of your deer for lure?
Old 08-27-2009, 07:06 AM
Typical Buck

I use them all the time. I cut up alot of deer and grab every one i can from other hunters deer. I wipe them on my boots to cover my scent and hang them at my standsite. Ive also attached them to my decoy-visual+scent=mad buck!!! I also dab them in scrapes to make believe another buck has invaded an area. There are problems tho-immature bucks and does are often scared and on high alert when they get a whiff which often results in blowing/snorting. If a buck is with a doe that takes off hes goin too. Thats been the only real downside ive encountered. I also vacuum pack them and freeze them for use the following year and they smell the same as the day i cut them off. Hope this helps.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:29 AM
Spike

I have a couple of friends that have had good luck cutting them off of does. They have had bucks come right up to them. One of them ended up shooting a dandy 10 pointer last year after he took the glands and set them in the fork of a sapling. He said the buck walked straight up to it. I will try it this year especially after him telling me this story.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the ones that come from "oiled" up bucks for both cover and attractant. Been doing ghis for decades. Certainly not a "sure tjhing", but I have had several deer, including a few decent bucks come into the area obviously scenting the gland .... I hang near my stand. Also use these for making mock scrapes - rub on overhanging limbs.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Spike

Used to use them when I was a kid---can't say that I think they ever helped us much.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:55 PM
Typical Buck

i don't use the gland itself ,but i cut the stinkin hair off of them and add it to deer urine to make my own lure.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Spike

A tarsal gland from a doe is good for attention from bucks big and small. Create a tarsal gland “wick” by retrieving a tarsal gland and spray it with fresh deer urine.

This will help to “activate” that distinctive rutting odor and will draw other deer in. Drag it down a travel route, and you find that they will follow that route right to where you want them.