Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What do you guys look for now? >

What do you guys look for now?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do you guys look for now?

Old 08-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What do you guys look for now?

what do you guys look for this time of year??..in terms of scouting for a hunting spot...or a place for a camera?? trails, food sources, water sources, etc...what is on the top of your list to be looking for while in the woods??
Old 08-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

I'm trying my best to stay out of the woods right now!!!
Old 08-23-2009, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like to hunt white oaks that are dropping near a cutover...The oaks around here started dropping last week and I already know what tree I'll climb...
Old 08-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

i am currently looking for spots to hang a stand/ scouting...right now i am pretty sure i have my camera on an oak (not sure what kind...not a big tree man) but there are defiantly acorns around and i am looking for the right tree to hang a stand on in that area..
Old 08-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Typical Buck

I have the advantage of working near my hunting spots everyday. I watch my corn and alfalfa fields for deer in the evenings, where theyre coming out from the woods. Thats the first place Ill start looking for trails pretty soon. I like to find the bedding areas next. Then I place my stands in places between beds and food, food and water, etc. I have some pretty good places picked out way before season and dont usually use cameras, mostly because I cant afford them!
Old 08-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Look for Good Feeding Areas, Trails, Rubs and Funnels...........I use Binoculars to scout an area...............Remember, all these things can change when hunting season opens........
Old 08-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

Again are you looking for a place to take pics now and see what deer are on yer property or are you looking for a place to hang a stand to hunt in a month or more from now. Late summer and fall deer travel patterns can vary greatly. One weeks hotspot could be tommorows barren wasteland. If the oaks are still dropping acorns when you plan to hunt i would focus on that. If you have a lot of oaks dropping you will need to find what trees the deer are hitting-put up your cameras and look for lots of droppings. This should tip you off to where they are eating. Early season you have to find the preferred food source!! This can constantly change due to availibility and how many deer are eating there. As the rut approaches all bets are off- Hunt funnels and BEST of all doe bedding areas. And as i said in your other post if you are just lookin to get pics now i would focus on a water source or stream crossing.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

my goal at this time is to look for a place to hang a stand and then place a camera to see what exactly is in the area. right now i have it on an oak tree that i plan on hanging a stand from as soon as i check my camera....
Old 08-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Typical Buck

Acorns are definitely the food of choice once they are dropping. i am not sure hanging the camera from the oak tree is your best bet tho, especially if there is more than one oak tree there! think you would be better off if you could put it on a trail the deer are using goin to or leaving your feeding area. If the deer are not eating the particular acorns in front of your camera you got nothing-meanwhile mr. bucky is eating behind your camera or two trees over. Good chance he comes and goes the same way on occasion tho. think you have a better chance to see what you got if you focus on how they are getting to and from there. That way you see all deer goin that way, not just whats eating right in front of one oak tree. On the other hand if there is only one isolated oak tree there and all the deer are eating under that specific tree by all means put it on the oak. Hanging your stand in the oak is a whole nother story. If the deer are eating under that tree hang your stand 20-30yds away from there or else you will be picked off by deer you dont want to shoot that are right under you!! Plus you will never get drawn back!! If you set up 20-30 yds away from the oak you will more than likely be able to draw cuz the deer will be intent on stuffing their faces and paying no attention to you. Hang it 20-30yds downwind and you should be golden. o yeah and if mr. big decides to circle around before he walks in like they often do, he will end up right in your lap!
Old 08-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

hmm that does make sense...depending on what i get on my camera will determine where i place my stand...i got a pic of a small buck and a doe using the trail but nothing huge...its obvious i shoulda scouted earlier....i am scouting now bc my uncle let me use his stand or else i wouldnt be in this mess! ah!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.