Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
BEST P&Y AND B&C state = WISCONSIN >

BEST P&Y AND B&C state = WISCONSIN

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

BEST P&Y AND B&C state = WISCONSIN

Old 08-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

From what I have been hearing from a lot of hunters from WI (as well as many on this site) the DNR is really screwing up the deer hunting up in Wisconsin. Haven't hunted up there in a few years but hear its getting pretty bad. From the numbers it looks like WI has a greater number of entries in B&C and P&Y by a small amount over Illinois and Iowa, but look at the number of licenses sold and deer harvest. Last year there were 188,000 deer killed in Illinois, in Wisconsin 0ver 450,000! Thats over 2 1/2 times the amount of deer killed in Illinois! I would expect when a state has that many hunters they would kill more record bucks. If you went down to it, the trophy deer to hunter ratio is much better in Illinois then Wisconsin. By shear numbers, yes, Wisconsin may kill more Trophy Deer but you are much more likely to kill a big Buck in Illinois with a lot less hunting pressure. Plus, the golden triangle is a great place to hunt, but now there are even more counties that have huge deer that have A LOT of Public land in Illinois.

Not to say that I would turn down hunting in Wisconsin. Ive hunted up there a few times (Waushara Co.) and had a great time and would do it again in a second. I might even try Devils lake SP for firearm deer since my Waushara Co. property is now houses (GRRRR!) and I can't hunt my Illinois piece this year. I just think that when it comes down to it there are many great states that you can get a huge buck and a couple numbers on a peice of paper really doesn't make WI the "Case Closed" best place to harvest a trophy buck.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

Very interesting article, I know here in Waupaca co. where I live an bowhunt I have never seen as many nice bucks as we are seeing now, overall deer no.s are way down however, I hate Earn-a-buck but sure like the results.
Redclub
Old 08-21-2009, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

EAB or earn a buck is the big reason for so many big bucks. I hunt in Wisconsin and have gotten more big bucks on camera then ever before. The only problem is that I am in the CWD zone which is overrated and it seems we have more bucks then does. EAB has screwed the deer herd up so bad and the DNR just sits on there butts and thinks it will go away. It won't.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

Gunther and Redclub...you guys sound like you're not too far away...where about ar eyou guys hunting?
Old 08-23-2009, 03:13 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by appleater25
Gunther and Redclub...you guys sound like you're not too far away...where about ar eyou guys hunting?
I live/own a farm in Femont Wi. (90 acres) all set up for wildgame, over 15,000 planted pines ,33 acres native prairie ,wetlands with numerous ponds, and also plant food plots. Farm is not used for agriculture anymore as I have been retired for quite a few years. I bowhunt,waterfowl, Muzzleloader, but I go to Price Co. for rifle hunt been going there since "53" Lots more biggar bucks here but tradition is really nice
Redclub
Check us out,not a game farm anymore that was for dog training
http://www.lorkenfarms.com/
Old 08-24-2009, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

the wisconsin dnr are really screwing up hunting here. but wisconsin does have some monster bucks all over the state. im proud to live in wisconsin
Old 08-24-2009, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt in Sauk county.