Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When should I clean my gun?

Old 08-18-2009, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always clean my rifle really good before I go to the range, and then when I get it shooting perfect I run a lightly oiled patch thru it and Im ready to hunt.
Why would you clean the gun before a range session? Then you have oil and solvent residue in the barrel which can affect the shot. I would clean after the range, when the gun is dirty.

I clean mine after most range sessions but only run a patch through during the hunting season if there is build-up in the barrel.

If you clean it right before hunting, you can run a patch through with alcohol and then a couple dry patches to make sure there's no solvent, oil or any other shot-effecting residue in the barrel.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I put a lot of rounds through my rifles, I will do a complete cleaning. If I only need 2-3 rounds to feel good about my shots, I will send a few patches down the bore and wipe the outside.

This may sound strange but I feel my rifles shoot better when dirty. By that I mean a few simple patches. If I begin with a completely clean rifle, which has been totally broken down, it seems my 2nd, 3rd shots are always better than that initial shot. The first shot is always acceptable but not as tight as the following shots.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
Why would you clean the gun before a range session? Then you have oil and solvent residue in the barrel which can affect the shot. I would clean after the range, when the gun is dirty.

I clean mine after most range sessions but only run a patch through during the hunting season if there is build-up in the barrel.

If you clean it right before hunting, you can run a patch through with alcohol and then a couple dry patches to make sure there's no solvent, oil or any other shot-effecting residue in the barrel.

You clean before a range session generally to clear out build up. Then after several shots, you're fouled and if you leave it dirty, you'll be shooting the same in the field as you were at the end of the range day. Cleaning after range means you zeroed/practiced with a fouled barrel and hunt with a clean one. Potential for change of impact. That's the theory anyway.

I think the difference is probably too small to really make a difference. Same with having oil or solvents in there.

Personally, I give her a decent cleaning every now and again. Don't really care. Over-cleaning leads to more problems than anything, especially with semi autos, and really hurts AR's. But again, it's personal preference and there are millions of opinions on this subject.

But the OP is using someone else's weapon. Courtesy would dictate cleaning absent of instructions to the contrary.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Once a year.............

Cleaning your gun is way over rated.

A cold clean barrel shoots different then a warm dirty barrel.

In fact your groups are always tighter after you put a few rounds through it !!!
Old 08-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Ava
Fork Horn

Very, very intresting. Thank you all for your replies.

So I asked Dad what he wanted me to do and he says to clean it after using it. I knew he would. I always saw him and the boys clean the guns after hunting and whatnot.

I was shooting it today and I really like it. I got paper targets from WalMart with the black circle and red dot. I had all 12 shots <took a break between 6 shots> within the black and one very close to the red dot the second time around. I think it needs sighted in just a bit. I saved the target so I could show Dad. I'm pretty stoked about it. I'd love to post a pic of it but my camera is on the fritz and won't even turn on. You'll just have to take my word for it! Looks like I'm gonna have to get a new camera.

Oh and the first 6 were at 60 yards and the second was at 50 yards. Dad wants to take me to the range and see what I can do at 100 yards.