Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Reality Hunting Show

Old 08-16-2009, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Reality Hunting Show

Just once, I'd like to sit down and watch an actual deer hunt not the "farm" animal harvest that embellishes most hunting shows. So you can take a 100-200-300 yard shot at a deer- woop-de-do. Let’s face it, a ranch hunt, high fence, private farm specifically utilized to grow trophy deer are not reality for most of us.
I propose another option for some of these "professional" hunters. Come on out to Nowhere, USA on a piece of public property and lets see you "do your thing". Show me how your years of vast knowledge and experience of scouting is going identify those prime areas to hunt. Next, thrill me with your skills of deconflicting a hunt ruined by people entering the woods after dawn and in your prime area thrashing around like they lost their cell phone. Lastly, entertain me by passing up a 110-120" buck to "let him grow". Good luck with that.
I wish we could talk about mistakes made and lessons learned instead of continuous advertising for the latest "fake corn product. Guaranteed to look the same, smell the same, and poop the same as the original thing. $19.99 - how did you ever hunt without it".
Old 08-16-2009, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I concur with your opinion, Well said!
Old 08-16-2009, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

I was thinking how I'd like to see a few episodes of Dream Season with the Mark and Terry Drury that didn't involve a $1500 bow and $800 worth of Scent Blocker clothing. I know they like to have their sponsors on TV, but I'm tired of seeing shows where money talks. Show me a "good ol' boy" hunting a swamp in clearance camo with a four year old bow. I think he needs more knowledge than big money, food plot hunters, he actually has to search for his deer. There are always going to be those who can afford the fancy stuff, but does the money really make the hunter? I'd rather see a guy who earns his racks with hard work rather than more money.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hell, I'm not a professional hunter and I wouldn't want to do that. Why would I want to have "a hunt ruined by people entering the woods after dawn and in your prime area thrashing around like they lost their cell phone." No thanks. I'll stick to private land.

It's always the people who hunt public land that take shots at hunting shows. Jealousy maybe? As long as I have access to private land, I'm going to hunt it exclusively. Why would I want to compete with other hunters and worry about all the hunt ruining variables? Hunting shows are NOT reality. It's all about entertainment.

I understand that not everyone can hunt private land. And that's fine. But don't be such a hater to people more fortunate than you. You all know you'd go hunting with one of those outfitters in a heartbeat if you had the chance.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:31 AM
Spike

I mentioned this in another thread, but I'd like to see the shows do more teaching. Tell why they chose the spot and location. Identify funnel areas. Teach about equipment. Give us more how and why to make us better hunters. I'm tired of seeing them sit in a stand and shoot. Why did you put your stand there? What was the reasoning? Other than what your sponsors tell you, why do you use the particular equipment you chose etc.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=SWThomas;3409390]
It's always the people who hunt public land that take shots at hunting shows. Jealousy maybe? As long as I have access to private land, I'm going to hunt it exclusively. Why would I want to compete with other hunters and worry about all the hunt ruining variables?

You miss my point. I also have access to two piece of private property, so jealousy is not a factor. I sit here and read thousands of posts about stands stolen and hunters trespassing on PRIVATE land, so I'm sure more than one hunt has been ruined by either road hunters, trespassers, or neighbors. Again, my point is how much skill does it take to hunt a deer farm that fenced in, regulated, without a hint of pressure? This whole post started by watch a program where Bill Jordans son went hunting on his property (2 deer state) and killed a 150 class opening morning and a 170 class the next morning. Nice job, don't get me wrong those are great deer. However, don't preach to me about how much hard work and time you put in to do it.....unless your refering to filling the feeders in the pasture your planning on hunting the night before.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Hell, I'm not a professional hunter and I wouldn't want to do that. Why would I want to have "a hunt ruined by people entering the woods after dawn and in your prime area thrashing around like they lost their cell phone." No thanks. I'll stick to private land.

It's always the people who hunt public land that take shots at hunting shows. Jealousy maybe? As long as I have access to private land, I'm going to hunt it exclusively. Why would I want to compete with other hunters and worry about all the hunt ruining variables? Hunting shows are NOT reality. It's all about entertainment.

I understand that not everyone can hunt private land. And that's fine. But don't be such a hater to people more fortunate than you. You all know you'd go hunting with one of those outfitters in a heartbeat if you had the chance.
I only hunt private land. I have access to 100 acres surrounded by over 5000 acres that was a pine plantation formerly owned by a paper company. I have no reason to hunt WMA and don't. That isn't the point of anything. The point of of his post, and mine for that matter, is to see real hunting on TV, not a set-up pair of antlers. I'd like to see people who do their work for deer and turkeys, not show up and get guided into the woods, sat in a stand that someone else has been paid to watch, and then kill and animal on TV like they did something great.

I'll take the advice of a 9-5er hunting the past thirty years after work and on weekends before I'll buy something off of TV. You ask why? Because the 9-5er had to earn his animal, he's been knee deep in muck, bitten and scratched by briars to find it. He didn't drive up, step out of the RV, shoot twice at a target and "get some bone" an hour later just to leave and take the ride to the location of next week's show.

Last edited by Beezer; 08-16-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you want to see the hunts as you described then you are probably going to have to continue to hunt the way you do and watch your buddy. Sponsors are not going to pay money for your type of hunts. Without sponsors/advertising there will be no hunting shows on teleision.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have decided to do a real reality hunting show on the local cable access channel. I warn you that it might be a bit boring. I kill my deer every year but they sure can be a long time coming.

I wouldn't expect people to view a hunting show where no game was seen never mind harvested. However "unfair" it might be that these guys have the cards stacked in their favor, NO one would watch if they didn't..

I like the management aspect of the bucks from Tecamote (sp) but those guys really do seem to be able to select a deer to kill without much difficulty. I would do it but even a 180 deer off that kind of place would not excite me much more than a hard earned little 8pt in my own woods.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I too look at them as mere entertainment - and nothing more. The "hunter" is more an actor following a script than a hunter. These guys start the show driving along telling you they are going to be hunting wherever it may be. Then there's the greeting at the Neverland ranch where they are "so glad to be". Blah, blah, blah they talk about the ranch and the land. How it is "prime" for this reason or that. Mostly because of the fence surrounding the place and the oh so strategic placement of high numbers of feeders and their always remaining topped off and running like clockwork.

To be fair, yes it has to result in a successful harvest or viewers would disappear. So if a deer is going to be shot it is almost always going to be a buck and a real dandy unless it is a show highlighting a kid on a youth hunt.

Success is guaranteed because hey, if we (the show) is going to grace your ranch with our presence something really good better result. Afterall, the show is going to fill your book with hunts and your pockets with money. So prior to the hunt you will see there will be boys out scouting, sitting on stands, glassing fields, watching everything to pinpoint travel patterns of these big, old, wise, elusive and sneeky bucks. (i.e patterning their travels from bedding to feeders - LOL)

Then they put old Joey Straightarrow on a preselected stand for a day or two or three. Wait for the deer to come. And bang.

On the show you see whatever footage they edit together to make "the hunt". If you pay attention you can see all the editing.

And they bucks usually are shown moving along with their "noses to the ground" scrounging for food in areas that they are in because they are conditioned to finding these places baited. Let the cracked corn spray.

And NO I wouldn't go hunting with one of these outfitters. I have my own land and I could easily drop the change.

I don't fish in barrels either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.