Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
At what age is a youth ready for Hunter's ed? >

At what age is a youth ready for Hunter's ed?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

At what age is a youth ready for Hunter's ed?

Old 08-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Typical Buck

We had the class in 6th grade so I was 12 i guess. My dad had taught me all about safety and ethical hunting way before that though so it was no prob passing. I think that any kid needs alot of one on one with his dad or whoever he hunts with before he ever goes into the woods. The safety course made me feel like "tha man" and it was the finishing touch on everything my dad taught me. Its a good thing for a young hunter.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Id say 12. Thats what its been here for as long as I know. Wisconsin did just pass a mentor program that runs during the regualr gun season here in Wi. The child must be at least 10 years of age, and be with a licensed adult and can only have one firearm between the two and the child must be in arms reach. I think its a great way to introduce kids to hunting and the outdoors. My son has been tagging along with us during gun season since he was about 7 or so. He loves it.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:27 AM
Fork Horn

I think that it depends on the maturity of the child. Heck, there are grown men that I won't hunt around because of their unsafe handleing of their own firearm. My son showed interest in the course at around 6 so I asked a local instructor and he agreed that the following year would be better and gave us some materials from the course including a workbook. We studied together that summer and he passed the test with a 97. He harvested his first deer that fall with a .243 at 85 yards.The certification isn't required here in NC at that age but he needed to learn safety anyhow. I took the course for the first time that year and at 40 years old it gave me a new sence of responsibilty and awereness, kinda like a wake up call that an accident can happen at anytime if you choose to let your guard down. My son is now 12 and still hunts by my side. We have taken take the course every summer since then and enjoy it. Again, it kinda keeps your head in the "safe" game. I would contact the DNR and see if you can get a copy of the course materials. That will quickly tell you if your boy is ready or not. That being said, I have a daughter that loves the outdoors as well but as far as taking the course, she is no where near ready as she is no where near as mature as my son was at that age.

Blessed
Old 08-17-2009, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

in ny you have to be 11 to take the course and 12 to hunt small game and at 14 you can hunt big game
Old 08-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

its 11 in wisconsin. i took it when i was 11 and started hunting when i was 12. the class was a blast
Old 08-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

I know I was grandfathered out of having to take it as I was born and had a lifetime license here in NC before the cutoff date. Personally speaking I was hunting with my father as soon as I could walk. Actually shooting when I was around 12-13 and shooting on my own around high school (not actually around the high school, because I'd still be in jail, just around that age). I, however, opted to take Hunter Safety Education last year because I was open minded about it and wasn't too proud to possibly learn something new. It was long and somewhat boring, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't take a few things out of it. If nothing more than learning where some of the gamelands are and conversing with the game wardens. It's rewarding, and I probably could have used it around 12-13. It kinda beat some of the things my father taught me into hamburger but like I said it's a good program for anyone of any age.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Typical Buck

My son took the course and passed the test at the age of 6. He could not read all of the questions but gave the correct answers when they were read to him.

We went gun hunting the first year and the next. He missed a doe with his 20 gauge shotgun. He is now a little gun-shy and hesitant to gun hunt. That is Ok with me.

He will soon be 10. He likes to go out with me and is eager to go bowhunting himself(with me present) when he is able to pull 40 pounds on a bow.

Passing the test is one thing, having the maturity to accept the responsibility of hunting is another.

I learned it is important to teach the children but don't push them too hard to hunt just to please me.

Good luck!