Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Old 05-12-2003, 02:26 PM

Default 223

will a 223 work for deer?
Old 05-12-2003, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 223

of course it will, but I would never use it for that purpose. People have killed moose with a .22 but that doesn' t make it right in my book. I would guess that most states would say in there reg' s that a .22 bullet is too small for big game, but some do allow it.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

By no means is a 223 the best choice for deer, but with a good heavy soft point bullet, and careful shot placement into the heart lungs, while avoiding the shoulder, it should work out to about 150 yds.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Will it kill a deer? Yes, if hit in the proper place, but so will a 76 Ford pickup. I won' t be hunting with either.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was just thinking this morning that it was about time someone asked this question again...oh well, at least it keeps the boards lively.

Yes, a .223 will handle deer just fine, out to about 75yrds would be all the farther I would use it though. The only thing it really has going for it is that hitting a deer in the heart with anything bigger than a rimfire is going to kill it, and .223' s lend themselves to be shot a lot, usually making people fully aware of their POI. I' d never use one, but as long as it is legal in your state, I' d say go for it if that' s what turns your crank.

Just use a soft point bullet with good retention, you should test them out ahead of time to make sure that you' re not going to be shooting water balloons at them. You' re going to need every grain you can to stay intact with the bullet, fragmenting on the surface is what makes the .223 a poor deer cartridge, however, there are heavily/well constructed bullets available to reload (don' t know for sure on factory ammo, but doubt it) that lend themselves to deer hunting. Remember, a standard .223 soft point is designed for coyotes/varminting in mind, so you' ll need something a little better than standard to get proper retention, a partition might be a better option, or an A-frame, just to be sure the thing stays together. I' ve seen a lot of .223/.22-250 " soft point" rounds that lose nearly half of their mass in a coyote, that' d simply blow the hide off a deer and kill it due to infection or slow blood loss a day-month later.

(can do a couple things to test retention: a) build a box out of wood that will hold milk jugs about 4-5deep, leave one end open except for a 2" lip all the way around that will stop the flow of water along the sides of the box--which might wash parts of your bullet back out of the box, losing it. Fill the jugs with water, get about 50yrds off, and shoot them, recover your bullets, and weigh. B) buy one of those smaller 100-200gallon stock tanks--the little oval ones, cut a square in it about 1/3-2/5 the way down about 5" x5" , cover this with duct tape on the inside and out 2-4 layers thick--packing tape works too, then sit 50yrds away, slightly elevated above your hole, then shoot through the tape where your square is, and recover your bullets and weigh. C) buy a tank and fill it full of ballistic jelly, and fire down into it, recover and weigh D) figure something out on your own, your a bright fellow right?)
Old 05-12-2003, 03:52 PM

And David Killed Golieth with a sling.

I have to agree with the others on this topic. Yes, it can kill deer but the complete performace of that round as far a game of that size is questionalble.

The smallest I would hunt with is a 243. And still some dont think this is big enough. But, it will in deed take deer down, fast.

Good luck.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Federal loads a 55 grain TBBC and Winchester loads a 64 grain power point. For reloading there is Nosler with a 60 grain partition, Barnes with a 50 & 53 grain X bullet, and Lost River Ballistics http://www.lostriverballistic.com/LRB_Start.htm with their 69 & 78 grain J36 hunting bullets.

If you used these bullets the 22 centerfires will be a capable deer rifle. Not the best but capable.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Sure will....not the best of them but it will work
Old 05-13-2003, 12:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto what most of the others said. Yes it will kill a deer with good shot placement but I would go with a larger caliber. Those little .22 caliber bullets out of a .223 are super fast but very light weight. Most factory loaded shells will come loaded with about a 55 grain bullet. Hit a little far foward and catch shoulder blade or heavy bone with a bullet that small and you are looking at a lost deer. I personally would not hunt deer with any bullet less than 100 grains in weight and that means using at least a .243.
Old 05-13-2003, 02:21 PM

thanks--- I was just curious in my search for a rifle that is not too expensive to shoot and is fairly all-purpose with lower recoil ( I' m only 13) so now for fun I may buy a .22 or cheap .223 then get a .270 later on for deer
THANKS ALOT![8D]

P.S. Timbercruiser, my grandma killed the first deer of the season with a old Buick on opening day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.