Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 To those that have a low hunter to a lot of land ratio... >

To those that have a low hunter to a lot of land ratio...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

To those that have a low hunter to a lot of land ratio...

Old 05-12-2003, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default To those that have a low hunter to a lot of land ratio...

Does your hunting group ever consider allowing other hunters to hunt your land?

Of course to your regulations. I am asking because I have read posts from people out east losing there hunting land. We as hunters should be a little concerned because those people out east may become non-hunters who would still like to hunt, but money may not allow them to.

Our group of hunters has averaged four per year since I have been hunting. We now hunt on 120 acres. If we were to ever get down to three hunters or accumulate more land around us I would be more than willing to let 1 or 2 hunters out of state to hunt without a lease as long as they hunted to my philosophy of hunting.

Any others out there on this topic?
Old 05-12-2003, 03:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: To those that have a low hunter to a lot of land ratio...

This year we are going to try charging a small number of non-club members for weekend hunts. This is just to keep our club membership numbers low, the fees will go directly to paying leases. Unless you have family or close friend land to hunt, other than public land, free hunting is rapidly gone. I figure between club dues, license, gas and eats I have at least $100 per day in my hunting time plus a lot of off season time in scouting new lands, food plot planting etc. If someone wants to hunt with us they will pay unless they are a special guest.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:09 PM

Im hunting just under 1000 acres of private property for our gun hunt. The group that travels with me to camp numbers between 4 and 6. We invite 2 locals too hunt with us. This year we are allowing them to bring theyre uncle for the week. He stopped by for a visit last year and we got him out for an afternoon and a deer!

We desigante " areas" the day before the openner, not treestands. This way if you get a bad wind you can move to a better spot in your area for the conditions.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

On some of the land I hunt, I' m the only one allowed on it for a whole section (full square mile). Naturally, there' s no way one man can be in all places of a section at once, especially one so thick, so I bring in buddies, and sometimes they bring in buddies, my only code is that they better know what' s what, and that we sight in our rifles together (pretty much a good days worth of " bonding time" ). On other parts, I' m the only one for a 2-4mile radius, but some of those landowners won' t let me bring in anyone else except my closest friends. On some richer parts, I almost never go out alone, usually 2-3 of us sometimes up to 5-6, and there' s usually another party there of 2-4guys, all of us on ~300acres, but it' s still not over populated, just because of the MASSIVE deer population in there, and the density of the brush, you can get plumb lost out there in broad daylight and not find your way out for two days, ON 300ACRES!! It' s dense, and wild, the deer can jump in a pocket and just vanish, so they don' t usually run too far even if we are stupid and scare them before shooting them. One time, 5 of us were leaving at the same time, all of us with deer in the back of our trucks.

I' m usually one that says, the more the merrier, but I better know the guy who' s coming in.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:30 AM

Come on Nomercy....get lost on a 1/2 mile sq section?? Not being a dink or anything, just seems a little far fethced.

I hunt close to Lake Superior in Wiscosnin....BIG country and several miles back to back without an old tote road or fire lane. It' s public land, but not a whole lotta deer. Some big boys though. You best have A LOT of time to scout...nomads I call them. Very hard to pattern....very little mast for food source.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Where I hunt in alberta and saskatchewan I would never limit myself to less than 20 or more square miles of land.There are times when there may be 2 of us within a square mile but we are often several miles apart.Due to the open terrain our deer move around a fair bit during the rut so we move with them to try to find the biggest bucks.