Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What is the #1 state for whitetail hunting? >

What is the #1 state for whitetail hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is the #1 state for whitetail hunting?

Old 08-14-2009, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by earnhard3
I go several ways. #1 state for whitetail...are we talking the amount of deer, size of deer, or the size of the bucks? If we are talking bucks which I'm sure we are I suggest looking at history and let do the talking.

however as for deer populations...http://www.i-maps.com/Qdma/frame/def...10100&MF=11000
I don't know if i would trust that map. The wildlife biologist(s) surveyed our lease 3 years ago and concluded we were 44 deer per sq. mile, but the map states 0-15
Old 08-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

I've hunted 12 states for whitetails. KS is my favorite. Iowas and Illinios are great, too. Nebraska is closing in.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bryant,

I felt the same way when I first looked at the map. It showed some of the lowest densities in a county where I lived for several years and which, at the time, I thought was crawling with deer. However, I realized that I lived in a portion of the county that bordered the Mississippi river and had lots of cover, whereas the vast remainder of the county was essentially open fields with not much cover for deer and where i rarely saw deer.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Banned

The map is also not up to date. The deer densities depicted for Pa are PRE-REDUCTION densities.

Currently according to pgc annual reports there is not one wmu in the state that has 25 or more owdpsm.

Not that Pa has any business in this conversation of best deer state however (more accurate to state it the worst), but just pointing out that since the map isnt up to date, perhaps some of the other states have had changes in densities as well.

Anyway, my vote goes to iowa and illinois.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Do PA WMU's correspond to counties?
Old 08-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bryant1
I don't know if i would trust that map. The wildlife biologist(s) surveyed our lease 3 years ago and concluded we were 44 deer per sq. mile, but the map states 0-15
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought it was deer taken per square mile. I'll look again when I decide to really care. It doesn't REALLY matter to me. I'm not trying to start anything. It was an interesting map though.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

I was wrong. And I guess I cared.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do PA WMU's correspond to counties?

No, they encompass several counties. Some counties are in two or more WMUs, depending on the border of the WMU.

They're suppose to contain like terrain, food, deer densities, etc....
Old 08-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Is all of PA organized into WMU's or only public lands?
Old 08-14-2009, 12:00 PM
Spike

I have a map at home that came out in 08 but its way too big.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.