Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Which Rifle

Old 08-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Spike

Okay -I 'll play along..why would the thread be locked ??
Old 08-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Switchback_XT
IBTL!!!!

FYI that means In Before The Lock!!
You just gonna post that and then haul the mail..Is there something you would like to share as to "why" the thread would be locked..new man on board..go ahead and give me the heads up.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rodngun
You just gonna post that and then haul the mail..Is there something you would like to share as to "why" the thread would be locked..new man on board..go ahead and give me the heads up.
They tend to lock threads when someone gives info that is stupid. Like a .243 is marginal at 300 yards. Or when people reply on a post without reading it and say something stupid like buy a .270 it's the best. The OP had two guns and asked which one you would use if it were you.

I wish people would read the thread and only answer on things they were qualified to answer and not throw out bad advice or solutions that were never part of the question.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Because you said that the .243 is marginal at 300 yards. What typically happens now is that someone will post that it's more than adequate at 300 yards (or 400, 500 whatever). Then it, if it follows normal form, degenerates into a brawling free-for-all over the adequacy of the cartridge at whatever range, compared to this or that, ad nauseam. Eventually names will start getting called, it'll get personal and the mods will lock the thread. You should see some of the brawls that have been fought over whether .224 cal centerfire rifles (pick one, doesn't matter which) are adequate for deer. The electronic version of pools of blood has been spilled over that whole debate. It gets pretty ugly, and this time you might have started it!

Mike
Old 08-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Spike

what the ....is that all about ?? Must be some ongoing drama ya'll have on this board.A 243 is marginal at 300 yards..if you dont agree with that or it confused you -then just say that.But to come at me like that only is making yourself look-well,like your looking for pissing contest.Telling him to look at the .270 as a in between gun of the both that he mentioned is -wrong ?? I guess I dont get it.But thanks for your comments-it made you really stick out for first impression.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now look what you've done!

Mike
Old 08-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by driftrider
Because you said that the .243 is marginal at 300 yards. What typically happens now is that someone will post that it's more than adequate at 300 yards (or 400, 500 whatever). Then it, if it follows normal form, degenerates into a brawling free-for-all over the adequacy of the cartridge at whatever range, compared to this or that, ad nauseam. Eventually names will start getting called, it'll get personal and the mods will lock the thread. You should see some of the brawls that have been fought over whether .224 cal centerfire rifles (pick one, doesn't matter which) are adequate for deer. The electronic version of pools of blood has been spilled over that whole debate. It gets pretty ugly, and this time you might have started it!

Mike
Wow -that all seems pretty petty to me...
Old 08-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm popping popcorn, grabbing a beer and getting ready for the show. This is going down hill fast!

Mike
Old 08-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, except that it really depends on what your definition of "marginal" is. I know guys who think that the 300 Win Mag is "marginal" for deer at 300 yards. It's a load of crap, but that's what they think. I also met a guy who had bought a .416 Rigby to hunt elk because he didn't want to be "undergunned" with his .30-06. Too bad he didn't listen to the gun shop owner that tried to talk him out of it, because he also complained about how much the ammo costs.

People have all sorts of crazy and/or stupid ideas, and other people like nothing more than pointing it out. That's why threads get locked. This one is on its way there right now.

Mike
Old 08-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Spike

I guess I am going to let you have this thread-since I have no idea where you two fella's are trying to take it..Happpy hunting & good day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.