Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help me remember

Old 08-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Help me remember

I remember reading a story about a deer hunter who had shot a big buck (his biggest?) and had a couple CPOs show up at his house days later saying they had "been told" that he poached it. They had seized the deer at the taxidermist. Despite THREE trials, no physical evidence and the cops never producing the supposed witness or even naming him, the guy was convicted and just gave up. There was a big defense fund drive that was successful but the guy gave up maintaining his innocence and saying it was taking too much of a toll on his family. The hunter was the only one with actual witnesses who vouched for his lawful actions.

Might have read it in Deer & Deer Hunting and I think it was in Maryland maybe?

Anyone point me to the story?
Old 08-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

The guy's name is Armondo Pioppi Jr.

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.co..._03/index.html

Go to the link above.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thank you very much!
Old 08-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Typical Buck

Wow that sucks! Probably some jealous A Hole made up the story, maybe even one of the 10 hunters waiting for him at the club house when he returned with his deer. That really sucks!
Old 08-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

it was in New Jersey. the landfill of america.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

and he never gave up. it ended up costing him like 25,000 and he could have gotten out with like a 150 fine. he pursued it up the chain of legal command as far as he could. but luckily the fine people at North American Whitetail and several other publications (D&DH i think) had some replicas made for him. there was enough photographic evidence for the trials and for the replicas. it was really a load of crap on new jersey's part.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like a couple of game wardens need an old fashion blanket party. I wonder why any game warden that is sworn to uphold the law would resort to being lower than whale crap.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
Sounds like a couple of game wardens need an old fashion blanket party. I wonder why any game warden that is sworn to uphold the law would resort to being lower than whale crap.

Well, sometimes one's version of upholding the law is different from another's. I've run into some Fish and Game guys who really pissed me off. Mostly when fishing close to town though. Haven't had a bad experience with one when hunting yet. Mostly good experiences.

I think sometimes, like any law enforcement, they get over zealous in their jobs. Especially when they are young. There's a mentality that everyone is doing something wrong.