Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Backpack Hunting for White Tail >

Backpack Hunting for White Tail

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Backpack Hunting for White Tail

Old 08-09-2009, 04:10 AM
Spike

Default Backpack Hunting for White Tail

Has anyone done this in the North East?
Old 08-09-2009, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you speaking of over night, day trip, several days, etc.?
Old 08-09-2009, 05:07 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by crokit
Are you speaking of over night, day trip, several days, etc.?
At least overnight, if not several days.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Done it a fair amount of times in the Adirondacks. Fairly easy to do. Just think, LIGHT. Are you using a canoe? What type of camping equip.?
Old 08-09-2009, 06:14 AM
Spike

Done it a fair amount of times in the Adirondacks. Fairly easy to do. Just think, LIGHT. Are you using a canoe? What type of camping equip.?
Nothing yet. I am just trying to learn about the particulars of the North East. Almost all of what I have seen regarding backpack hunting involves mule deer, elk or sheep out west.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of opportunities in the North East. I speak mainly of the 'dacks because it is there I am MOST familiar. If your looking for an area where you can walk out of your tent and just go, without seeing human or posted signs, still with an opportunity to take a mature deer, do some research on the Five Ponds Wilderness Area and St. Regis Canoe Carry Area.

Both are primitive lands, no motor vehicles, no engines { gas or electric }, Thousands upon thousands of wilderness and forests. Both offer a diverse topography, and fairly easy access, and decent hunting, but it isn't for the out of shape.

Be happy to help further if there's an interest.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Spike

Lots of opportunities in the North East. I speak mainly of the 'dacks because it is there I am MOST familiar. If your looking for an area where you can walk out of your tent and just go, without seeing human or posted signs, still with an opportunity to take a mature deer, do some research on the Five Ponds Wilderness Area and St. Regis Canoe Carry Area.

Both are primitive lands, no motor vehicles, no engines { gas or electric }, Thousands upon thousands of wilderness and forests. Both offer a diverse topography, and fairly easy access, and decent hunting, but it isn't for the out of shape.

Be happy to help further if there's an interest.
I may go in the Catskills this season. I am still trying to figure out how to pack and carry out of the woods. I enjoy the info, thanks.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

done it a little bit but usually cause its the only way I can get to a certain spot i want or where noone else will go.
Like they said make sure your in shape and pack as light as possible.