Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Several beginner questions about required courses? >

Several beginner questions about required courses?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Several beginner questions about required courses?

Old 08-03-2009, 01:11 AM

Default Several beginner questions about required courses?

Hello,

I'm from Ontario and am 19. Last fall I went to a friend's lodge during Deer season and although I didn't kill anything, I enjoyed shooting the guns, hiking in the bush and generally spending the day out in nature with good friends! Growing up I was never around guns and lets just say my family is pretty anti-gun/hunting. But I see the justification for hunting deer and other animals so long as you will use the body in some significant way. I'm still not sure I have it in me to kill an animal, but even if I'm not able to I am interested in learning how to handle a firearm and be safe for the next time I go. Legality is certainly an issue, my buddy said that we were breaking all kinda laws when we went out with 3 completely unlicensed/trained people, no tags either but I don't think we were really going to kill anything anyways...Certainly not deer, maybe a rabbit because we were awfully hungry.

Anyways, that's my little introduction, now onto my question. I have NO idea where I can take my Canadian Firearms Safety Course. I have looked all around the internet a lot and come up with just about nothing. I do have a 1-800 number I could call but I believe course registration is independent of the government and apparently not on the internet, hehe.

Could anyone point me in the right direction? I'm from the Toronto area, moving up to Ottawa early September. Prefer to take the course in late August. And then what are the next steps to be able to go out hunting this Fall? I know I need a Possession and Acquisition License if I want to own a gun, but is it needed if I am just using my friends guns? I also need the outdoors card. How/where do I get this for hunting and fishing?

Could someone please help me out here? And sorry this doesn't seem like the right section, but I couldn't really find an appropriate section for this type of discussion.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try this link.

http://www.env.gov.nl.ca/env/wildlif...crs.htm#Safety
Old 08-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, reading that reminds me of the gun laws in New Jersey and the reason why I left.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Best solution I have is move to America!

Sorry, I know that don't help, couldn't help it!
Old 08-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

"I'm from Ontario and am 19. Last fall I went to a friend's lodge during Deer season and although I didn't kill anything, I enjoyed shooting the guns, hiking in the bush and generally spending the day out in nature with good friends! "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's 80% of the reasons any of us hunt.

Go to your big sporting goods store, gun shop or rod & gun club in your area and ask for assistance with local hunting regulations.

Most hunters can be very helpful in this regard.

Keep us posted...............and go for it !!!

Most of us would love to hunt in your area.