Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Other animals, Terrified?

Old 05-10-2003, 06:48 PM

Default Other animals, Terrified?

I was wondering if say a fox walked past your stand, would they be lessor more alarmed than a deer would, if they both when exactly where you walked into your stand area.
Old 05-10-2003, 07:21 PM

Default RE: Other animals, Terrified?

less; I have had fox walk by and look up at me and just stop.then go back to feeding,had one lay down and watch the feeder for birds.
they have walked by my blind and stare and smell around.
Old 05-10-2003, 08:14 PM

The fox are hunters, and tend to be more on the move then deer. The few that I have had come past me while deer hunting, came trotting through the woods at a good clip, and eather went by without knowing I was there, or scented me and bolted. Deer seem to move much more carefull, and be more cautious as they move through the woods.

Just my two cents.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' m going to say that the fox would be less alarmed because it knew you were there LONG before the deer would have, it' s a predator, that' s what it does, smell things. Since it knows you' re there long before it sees you (not to mention that it probably already heard you too), it might even be a little curious, especially if you tracked doe urine in with your boots for cover scent, so it may just come check you out, you' d probably never see it if it does, but it may.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:58 PM

I saw a fox this year while bowhunting, it didn' t even know I was there. He was on the move looking for food. Deer are more alert looking for predators that may be danger!
Old 05-16-2003, 08:10 AM

Everyone is right here. Deer are cautious every step but fox just trot along. Fox will pick up on you a lot faster b/c they' re predators and have some kind of 6th sense, but most of the time they won' t even worry about ya.
Old 05-17-2003, 10:07 AM

Fox are not as weary as a deer at all. Like Plaid Dad said, they usually come trotting thru the woods at a good pace. On the move trying to find food.

Lick your knuckles and then suck on them with your lips and make a squeaking sound. The fox will come right to you.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:46 AM

Foxes are oblivious. They don' t care about you in a tree stand. I' ve had numerous foxes walk under my stand while I was deer Hunting in Pennsylvania and they weren' t worried about me in the slightest.
Shane
Old 05-21-2003, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Foxes have very few natural Predators, East of the Mississippi, except Coyotes - and they don' t often ambush from the trees. That said, while I' ve had fox come by oblivious, I' ve had coyotes stop 100 yds out, and bolt like their tail was on fire at a human scent.