Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent Control??

Old 05-10-2003, 04:23 PM

Default Scent Control??

What do yall use to control your scent. Besides the Scent-Lok suits, thatd be nice, but i dont have that kinda money now. BUt what do you use/ or do that helps controls your scent?
Old 05-10-2003, 04:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Scent Control??

Climb a tall tree and hunt the wind. That' s all.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:14 PM

hunt high,wear rubber boots,use H. S. Sent-a-way spray.[:-]
Old 05-10-2003, 06:43 PM

how high do you usually climb? Im terrified of heights, so my stand is only 15 feet tall. Is this tall enough? Do any of you use carbon blast? How often do you wash your camo clothes? About what time should i go out? Around 7 AM and 3:30 PM, for say a morning and evening hunt.
Thanks alot guys, ive learned alot from here.
Old 05-10-2003, 07:28 PM

I have a 25 ft. rope on my climber,when it gets tight I stop,most of the time.a few times I will go higher if it is in an open cut.

I only use H.S. Sent-a-way spray,and dont have a problem with game smelling me.I have used 15' ladder stands with same results,when I use the spray.
don' t forget to spray everything,cloths,foot wear(sent-a-way powder),glovers,and most imporant of all your hat.

as for the hights;just think of setting in an office chair,and don' t dewell on how high you are.[&:]
Old 05-11-2003, 12:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I mostly hunt deer from the ground and have never used a scent loc suit!! I believe the number one key is wind and use it your favour, however you must know where the deer are and where they are going in accordance to your location as well. I wash my camo in baking soda non-scented laundry soap, then let it air dry inside out in the sunlight. I always shower and wash my hair before heading out with Ivory bar soap and use unscent pit stick under my arms and knee joints. Use a scent eliminator spray in the field. Make sure to eat foods that produce min. gas or scent. I only drink water while hunting as well. Rubber soled shoes or boots are a must IMO.

I wash my camo when it is required, if I sweat or it is hot I wash it upon arriving home. If not I place it in a sealed container with field materials (such as earth, leaves, etc) You can also put it in a sealed container with baking soda to remove odour. I store all my camo in sealed container clean when finished and then place the outfit I will be wearing in a seperate container with the field materials and change in the field.

Old 05-11-2003, 02:56 PM

Before every hunt I use Scent-a-way soap, shampoo, deoderant, and spray.
I also wash my clothes in scent free detergent and store in plastic bags.
Old 05-11-2003, 03:03 PM

Alot of good responses, especially what skeeter 7mm said (nice name...I own a skeeter deep v boat and shoot a 7mag). As soon as I get out of the woods, my outer camo and first under layer immediately go into a sealed box with a couple of cedar or pine bows in it.

I do have a no scent under garment and truely beleive in it, but it is critical that no matter what you do, you DO NOT wear your hunting clothes for anything BUT hunting.
Old 05-11-2003, 04:17 PM
Typical Buck

I started using Scentblocker suits a few years ago, but I still use the same routine that I have for years. I wash all my clothes that i will be wearing under the suit ( including underwear and the towel that I will be using) after every hunt in H.S. Scent Away detergent. Then it is stored in a heavy plastic bag and the bag is then stored in the big tupperwear containers. Before the hunt I shower using Robinson Labs Scent Shield Fall blend soap, or the other unscented bar soaps, and shampoo with unscented shampoo. Then I use the the scent shield deoderant. I never ever wear any of my hunting outer gear on the way to the hunt. I dress there at the truck, put on the Scentblocker suit and knee high rubber boots. Then my favorite ingredient is the Fall Blend spray. I spray my face and hair with it in case of sweating on the way in, and spray down my clothes, and especially my boots with it. It is not only a cover scent but also an attractant. Over the years of using it I have had many, many deer actually follow the scent trail right to me tree, bucks and does. I have seen alot of deer licking the vegetation that I have rubbed up against and have had three different deer actually lick my tree steps. They love that stuff. I have had some guys laugh at me for being such a scent fanatic, but these are the same guys that are always complaining abot deer winding them and spooking, or not seeing deer at all. They just can' t understand how I get so close to so many deer. I usually order 8-10 32 oz. bottles of Fall Blend before every season. Great stuff. I am a firm believer in scent control.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:20 AM
Dominant Buck

If you' re hunting on a tight budget like me , go to this website : sportsmansguide.com , when you get there use the search bar to look for " chemical suits" . This will take you to a page with Mil issue chemical suits in Woodland , British DPM , or Olive Drab . The suits are lined with activated charcoal like Scentlok suits . These are the same suits our troops wear to protect them from chemical or biological agents . They are CHEAP , water resistant , and work great . Average price is $ 15 , and sometimes cheaper depending on your size . They include both jacket and pants . [8D] They insulate very well , so they might not be suitable for early seasons . They are full cut to fit over battle dress uniforms , so you can order a size smaller if you have to . I' ve had deer and turkeys walk to within feet of me while wearing one .

Quick Reply: Scent Control??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.