Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What to use in front of your deer cam?? >

What to use in front of your deer cam??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What to use in front of your deer cam??

Old 07-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

Question What to use in front of your deer cam??

What do you guys recommend to put in front of deer cams to attract them? I've put shelled corn, but that disappeared REAL fast. Now I have a salt and mineral block...they're lasting a LOT longer...and seem to be working quite well; but I was wondering what I should use once pre-rut/rut starts. Any of you guys ever had any luck making mock scrapes with a drip bag or something like that??
Old 07-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Typical Buck

I like mineral sites(or salt blocks) this time of year for bucks. For quantity of pics corn is hard to beat. Try the corn in a feeder, it will pay for itself in a year.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Apples, corn, mineral block.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use corn but I got your problem to a 5 gallon bucket of corn is gone in one night I am gonna start using salt licks after all my corn is gone
Old 07-28-2009, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

when starting new salt / mineral licks... do you guys use something like corn to attract them and help them find the blocK?
Old 07-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

Here in the lower penninsula of Michigan we are and have been for almost a year now under a bait/mineral ban. One animal in an enclosure tested positive for CWD, and the DNR immediately put a halt to the use of salt, minerals or bait of any kind.

So beginning last August I started urinating about 4-5ft directly in front of each cam. Laugh and doubt it's effectiveness if you wish, but check out the link to the albums posted below in my signature before you decide I'm looney.... don
Old 07-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Spike

Corn is basically impossible to beat, but the best way to do it in my opinion is to mix whole shelled corn with acorn rage, or mix 50lbs of corn with cmere deer liquid and let it sit overnight and soak into it for an amazingly attracting combo. Cant beat that!
Old 07-28-2009, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

i run Antlers Plus protein pellets in a Moultrie feeder in front of one cam and mineral sites in front of the others. once the bucks start scrape'n, i'll take out my cam's on mineral sites and put them over scrapes to see what size bucks are using which scrapes.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

i forgot to mention, the deer seem to love the Antlers Plus. once they got the taste of these protein pellets they eat them up before any corn. they also stopped using the Trophy Rock i have next to the feeder. they will literally come up and stick their tongue to the broadcaster in attempts to get more pellets.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Western MA Hunter
when starting new salt / mineral licks... do you guys use something like corn to attract them and help them find the blocK?
Naw, but February or March is when you want to start them. They will find them if you put them in a spot where the hangout anyway. Now its getting a little late for them. By the time the salt dissolves into the ground the deer shouldn't be using them that often. Its mostly a spring/summer hangout for deer.