Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you shoot them both?

Old 01-04-2002, 04:16 AM

Default RE: Do you shoot them both?

I guess it would depend on the situation, as long as both animals could be taken cleanly, and not by "laying out some lead". I am not in favor of neck shots at all. Too many people think that they are sharp shooters just because the weapons they are using are zeroed in at 200 yards, ect. I've seen way too many deer wounded and run off to poor shots made by these "Quigley's"! The "ANTI'S" thrive on this sort of thinking towards what we do as sportsman anyway, DO NOT give them any more ammo than they need! Neck shots should be reserved for the few occassions where a bad shot happened accidentally, and the animals is within reach. Keep on huntin!

P.S.--A little side bar for HUCKLBURY--

Taking more than one deer at one time is legal in the state of Missouri, without having to check the first one in. (See page 12 of your "Mo. Fall Deer and Turkey Information" booklet in the Q.& A. section--lower half of the page)
Old 01-04-2002, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had opportunities where i could have shot a second deer, but i didn't take it.
I hunt on a friend's farm, and i don't want to wear out my welcome by shooting too much game. I guess if it was late in the season,
and I hadn't gotten one yet, i might shoot two.
Old 01-04-2002, 04:58 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I guess it would depend on the situation, as long as both animals could be taken cleanly, and not by &quot;laying out some lead&quot;. I am not in favor of neck shots at all. Too many people think that they are sharp shooters just because the weapons they are using are zeroed in at 200 yards, ect. I've seen way too many deer wounded and run off to poor shots made by these &quot;Quigley's&quot;! The &quot;ANTI'S&quot; thrive on this sort of thinking towards what we do as sportsman anyway, DO NOT give them any more ammo than they need! Neck shots should be reserved for the few occassions where a bad shot happened accidentally, and the animals is within reach. Keep on huntin!

P.S.--A little side bar for HUCKLBURY--

Taking more than one deer at one time is legal in the state of Missouri, without having to check the first one in. (See page 12 of your &quot;Mo. Fall Deer and Turkey Information&quot; booklet in the Q.& A. section--lower half of the page)
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Old 01-04-2002, 05:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have had the opportunity once, I dropped a doe dead in her tracks and the other 4 just stood there, they had no idea which way to run so they froze. If it had been legal then I would have taken a second, but back then in Va. it was one deer a day! Now it is two a day. If I had the chance and I knew the first one was down for the count and I had a clean shot on another I would drop it.

The Tazman
Old 01-04-2002, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have done it once while it was still legal in PA. Many times when you shoot one deer, the others either stand there like dummies or just run and stop after a couple hops, giving an easy 2nd shot. Not to say that if it did become legal I'd look to do it all the time, it would depend if I had an easy way to drag the 2nd deer to the truck.
Old 01-04-2002, 06:34 PM

Sure I would and why not? Here in N.C. you can take 2 a day and 6 per season with only 2 of those being bucks.
Old 01-04-2002, 06:40 PM

I would be lying if I told you I wouldn't want a chance like that and take it.The only problem I would have is I can't here in Pa you have to have one legally tagged before you can shoot another deer.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:18 PM

Just take one. I get multiple tags to extend my hunting time and to increase the chance of getting a big one. Don't wan to end it in one hunt unless there are two monsters.

Dream to Hunt...Hunt to Dream
Old 01-05-2002, 05:05 AM

I wouldnt just because my hunting season would be over. But if it were the last day I would.
Old 01-05-2002, 06:51 AM

In MD there is no daily limit on deer. I hunt zone C and D and the season limit for guns is 2 does and 2 bucks,in each zone. But you have to shoot the second doe before you get the second buck. And you have to buy your $5 bonus deer stamps ahead of time. So it would be legal to shoot 4 the same day. I would not do that too much work. Many hunters here during gun season when they shoot a deer they mark where it fell and they dont even move they just wait for the next one.

Quick Reply: Do you shoot them both?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.