Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Trail Cam Placement

Old 07-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

It has been a long, long time since I used buckshot on a regular basis when hunting deer. I saw a bunch killed with the stuff back the - mid to late 1960's. I was with my brother when he shot at and hit a superb buck that was standing dead still, fully broadside at about 70 yards with a 12 ga., 3" shell load of 00. He knocked this buck down 3 times with hair flying off it's chest and neck each time from the hits. That buck cleared a fence flying low and as as far as we know today, kept right on going. Despite 6 of us looking for the rest of that day - some 7 hours, and 3-4 hours the next morning, we never found it. Blood trail was all but non-existant for the first 200 yards or so then totally petered out. I have used a center fire 25 to 44 cal. almost exclusively since about 1970. I doubt I'll ever use buckshot again.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

This time of year, either put it on a heavy trail leading to/from food or bedding area, on a field side, or on a mineral lick.

I have two cameras right now that work, a Stealth I590 and a Cuddeback Capture.

The Stealth has horrible trigger time so i have it set up on my mineral lick,

My Cuddeback though has amazing trigger speed, so i set it up on trails leading to/from food sources:

That my friend, is Trail Camera 101 for summer time.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Spike

thanks for all the info I am gathering. Why is this time of year seem so important for mineral block to be so affective? Is it mostly because of antler growth taking place now???
Old 07-23-2009, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are many factors. Minerals are used and sought after by deer at all times of the year, but spring/summer is most important and popular. Does need to replenish minerals lost by giving birth and to keep their fawns healthy while still carrying. Fawns need minerals to help them grow. Buck use minerals to help develop their antlers.

But before you start thinking that salt/minerals are "The Answer" to hunting and growing big bucks, think again. Mineral licks will help your deer, and they create a great place to get pictures and observe deer. But minerals arnt going to transform bucks into slammers overnight. Genetics and diet are still #1 and #2 for this, and mineral effect is truthfully very minimal when it coems to growing huge antlers.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:22 PM
Spike

it is interesting that you don't mention age at all? what are your thoughts on age of the deer to get the maximum out of them? Thank you for the whys of setting mineral and the when's.have you ever talked with anyone out west to see if it is the same for muleys as for whitetails.Thanks for any response you may want to give
Old 07-24-2009, 01:53 AM
Typical Buck

I was going to say the same thing. Age is #1 factor, then diet, then genetics. I'm not sure about the mulies, I would think the same logic applies.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Didn't think about age, of course, a deer is born with the potential to be all he is going to be. Once he has his genes, he then must eat and survive to achieve size. Good point.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Spike

this is a really good post and thanks for all the info. Siman Thanks for the photos, that is cool stuff for sure. I have a friend that is an outfitter here in Wyoming that sends teeth in from all his deer for ageing and it seems that the biggest and best bucks are in the oldest of age classes every year. there are exceptions but as a rule it seems they need age. Thanks for the reasoning behind not mentioning age.