Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 anyone bow/gun hunt without blind or tree stand? >

anyone bow/gun hunt without blind or tree stand?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

anyone bow/gun hunt without blind or tree stand?

Old 07-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default anyone bow/gun hunt without blind or tree stand?

I wanna try deer hunting without those. I'm thinking... Pick a good sport with some thick brush and just hide there waiting for the deer.. bad? good?
Old 07-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: anyone bow/gun hunt without blind or tree stand?

Get a leafy suit and go for it.I love to do it.Carry a ground seat,a wet butt gets old fast.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get a light weight stool and one of those turkey blind setups where you get about 12 feet of leafy camo fabric and half a dozen collapsable stakes to stick in the ground. Just find a tree to lean against and set up the makeshift blind. They pretty much block the deer from seeing anything but your head. The blind fabric rolls up and fits in my backpack, and the stool has a shoulder strap.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

most of my hunting is from the ground with no blind, and I see plenty of deer. I recommend that you wear camo and sit with your back to a tree, so that your outline is broken. scent control is important too.

this works best on hill sides, where I can look into a bottom, but I do it on flat land too.

it also allows you to be mobile, if necessary

i hunt this way most often b/c i can get in and out of the woods quickly with little noise.

to hunt this way, you'll do best with camo clothes, face mask, binoculars, scent spray, back pack, gun/bow

with my bow, I try to sit about 30 yards away from where I expect the deer to be, and a pistol/rifle/shotgun I usually sit about 50 yards away
Old 07-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Fork Horn

my most successful hunting yet has been from hunting without these. ive leaned tires against trees and also just sat on logs or branches or just about anything.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: soulless

I wanna try deer hunting without those. I'm thinking... Pick a good sport with some thick brush and just hide there waiting for the deer.. bad? good?
Hmmm, I call this "Spot n' Stalk Hunting" some days its the only thing to do, others its the last thing U want to try. I just play it by ear.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Fork Horn

cool.. thanks for the tops. I'm gonna try that. Watching my friends hauled around those treestands doesn't look too fun to me especially if it's like a 1/2-1 mile walk into the woods and parking is no where near.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

I prefer to hunt from my tree stand (you can get away with more movement, scent, etc) but I have killed a fair number of deer from the ground.

When I select a ground stand, I rake away all of the leaves immediately around me, place my chill pad / turkey seat down, brush in around my stand with some small saplings for cover (I even built a log palisade on a Wildlife Management Area), and place some cover scent around.

I then arrange any gear that I might need (grunt calls, thermos / canteen, etc) and pull out a paperback book (or a small electronic game...yatzee, tetris, DS Lite, etc) and settle in.

Both deer that I killed in 08 were from the ground.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have always hunted from the ground with both a bow and a rifle. The most important thing is a good cover scent that deer will be fairly used to in your area. Like apples scent if you are hunting around apple trees and the like. Next stay as still as you can because most likely you will not here a deer coming up to check you out. The slightess movement can give you away. For as far as hunting with a rifle it is not so important as you can get out a longer shot.. Good Luck to you.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:35 AM
Fork Horn

Only way I was able to hunt till last year when I finally bought a ground blind. Took a nice doe a couple years ago while lying prone under a pine tree.

Don

Quick Reply: anyone bow/gun hunt without blind or tree stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.