Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

need an idea

Old 06-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default need an idea

For a wrap around blind for a wooden tree. Stand just help me on how i could build it out of wood.

thanks
Old 06-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: need an idea

ORIGINAL: remingtonshooter1

For a wrap around blind for a wooden tree. Stand just help me on how i could build it out of wood.

thanks
Not sure what you mean but FWIW I carry a piece ofcamo fabric in my pack that I use as the basis for a ground blind when I set up. I hunt exclusively from the ground and this gives me a light blind that I can set up and take down quickly. I use black shoe laces or para cord to tie it to surrounding trees / foliage.
I have even run it thu the washer with scent free soap to help kill any odors when I bought the fabric.

Bob
Old 06-24-2009, 03:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Would this do?

You can go to Wal-Mart's sporting goods section and get a turkey hunter's blind, which is a long strip of camo cloth that has short poles inserted into it, for about $20. You unwind the fabric and push the ends of the poles into the ground to form a semicircle around the base of a tree, then you sit at the base of the trunk, wearing a turkey hunting vest with a padded backrest is reccomended. Most of the one's I've seen are leaf cut and come in a variety of popular patterns. With the turkey season over in most areas they're probably on clearance, if not you can find them at Bass Pro or Cabela's any time. I've hunted deer with one many times.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Instead of trying to build a wood tree stand I would highly recommend just buying an aluminum ladder stand. You can get one cheaper than buying the materials to build a wood stand, it is safer, easier to move and if you want a top on it just fashion one out of 1/2 inch PVC and a few fittings and screw a piece of 3 foot by 4 foot aluminum roofing to it. The burlap camo works well, but usually won't last but a couple of years.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

i would just use burlap or something...
Old 06-24-2009, 02:56 PM

Horizontal Hunter,I like your idea for a ground set-up.I might have to do that myself from time to time.Lugging around a climbing stand can get a bit tiresome.It sounds simple but effective!
Old 07-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

true timber but i had already had the wood just laying around
Old 07-03-2009, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just get some stakes at a garden center and the camo material.Some brands like HS offer such blinds ready to go at low cost.I'd suggest something made from synthetic material otherwise you have to watch out for mildew/rot.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do you want a ground blind or a tree stand?
Old 07-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why do you want it to wrap around a tree?