HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   need an idea (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/296533-need-idea.html)

remingtonshooter1 06-23-2009 06:39 PM

need an idea

For a wrap around blind for a wooden tree. Stand just help me on how i could build it out of wood.

thanks

Horizontal Hunter 06-23-2009 06:55 PM

RE: need an idea

ORIGINAL: remingtonshooter1

For a wrap around blind for a wooden tree. Stand just help me on how i could build it out of wood.

thanks
Not sure what you mean but FWIW I carry a piece ofcamo fabric in my pack that I use as the basis for a ground blind when I set up. I hunt exclusively from the ground and this gives me a light blind that I can set up and take down quickly. I use black shoe laces or para cord to tie it to surrounding trees / foliage.
I have even run it thu the washer with scent free soap to help kill any odors when I bought the fabric.

Bob

kevin1 06-24-2009 03:04 AM

Would this do?

You can go to Wal-Mart's sporting goods section and get a turkey hunter's blind, which is a long strip of camo cloth that has short poles inserted into it, for about $20. You unwind the fabric and push the ends of the poles into the ground to form a semicircle around the base of a tree, then you sit at the base of the trunk, wearing a turkey hunting vest with a padded backrest is reccomended. Most of the one's I've seen are leaf cut and come in a variety of popular patterns. With the turkey season over in most areas they're probably on clearance, if not you can find them at Bass Pro or Cabela's any time. I've hunted deer with one many times.

timbercruiser 06-24-2009 04:27 AM

Instead of trying to build a wood tree stand I would highly recommend just buying an aluminum ladder stand. You can get one cheaper than buying the materials to build a wood stand, it is safer, easier to move and if you want a top on it just fashion one out of 1/2 inch PVC and a few fittings and screw a piece of 3 foot by 4 foot aluminum roofing to it. The burlap camo works well, but usually won't last but a couple of years.

Western MA Hunter 06-24-2009 05:07 AM

i would just use burlap or something...

Remfire 06-24-2009 02:56 PM

Horizontal Hunter,I like your idea for a ground set-up.I might have to do that myself from time to time.Lugging around a climbing stand can get a bit tiresome.It sounds simple but effective!

remingtonshooter1 07-02-2009 06:38 PM

true timber but i had already had the wood just laying around

Bernie P. 07-03-2009 05:42 AM

Just get some stakes at a garden center and the camo material.Some brands like HS offer such blinds ready to go at low cost.I'd suggest something made from synthetic material otherwise you have to watch out for mildew/rot.

Centaur 1 07-03-2009 07:47 AM

Do you want a ground blind or a tree stand?

SWThomas 07-03-2009 01:52 PM

Why do you want it to wrap around a tree?