Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

documenting ur hunts?

Old 05-05-2003, 08:12 AM

Default documenting ur hunts?

do ne of u all use free programs for ur comp to help u document ur hunts, a map of ur hunting spots, etc?
Old 05-05-2003, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: documenting ur hunts?

For the past 3 years I been keeping a detailed hunting journal associated with my hunting day such as game seen, time, conditions and locations. By doing this I got the deer and elk rut down to the exact time. Its really for my own reference, but it also comes in handy when the game and fish commision calls at the end of the year and wants to know how many man hours I hunt in relationship to my success.
I don' t make my own maps up but reley on several maps to get the imfo I need and then I cross reference them. Many of these maps are computer generated and therefore some errors may exist, so I do a lot of cross chequeing, but there is also such a thing called actual field condions which vary from the maps. It doesn' t hurt to have too much imfo and I am always looking for an edge. Good luck Bobby
Old 05-05-2003, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

2 things here...

1) I do the same thing as you 121553. I have found it to be really valuable info after compiling years of info on a area. When you can go back and get a pretty detailed account of what you did/saw it will help you with your current hunt.

2) WoRkAtThE711, please learn how to communicate with other people. If BeaverJack taught you how to type, get your money back
Old 05-05-2003, 07:26 PM

I drew a map in the paint program, marking vehicle trails, food plots, etc. use a cross to indicate a rub and a box for a scrape. Mark deer sightings on it, too. I only hunt on 100 acres, so it isn' t too hard to make a map of the timber and fields. I use this map a lot for scouting before the season starts. I carry it in the field so I remember what i find. If I mess it up, just print another.
I made a little pocket ledger in Excel to record each hunting trip. It has a place for the date/time, conditions, rain/cloudy/sun and temp. wind, etc. Mark down sightings, shots taken, etc. I find I forget some things if I don' t record them as it happens while on stand. Number my stands, name my plots, etc.
Russ
Old 05-05-2003, 07:41 PM

im sry jorgy.. i was at school and in a rush to beat the bell.
restate the question to say:
Do any hunters on this board, keep records on their computers, like maps or something stating where they saw a certain animal? just wondering how you guys kept records..
Old 05-06-2003, 08:43 AM

The records that I have from my scouting/hunting with the forms and map are added into my computer. I have the paintbrush maps back to 1998. The daily hunting logs are easy to put in. I use excell to keep these records. If you have Microsoft Office in your computer, you have asll the tools to keep records on your computer.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:51 AM

Our entire club fills our camp jurnal. It has help with locations, kills, and anything to do with our land.

- what we saw and the location
- bedding area
- plots
- kill zones
- special notes

and others.