Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Field Judging Whitetails

Old 06-18-2009, 04:25 AM

Default Field Judging Whitetails

I thought all you deer hunters might enjoy this website that has a game on field scoring whitetails.

http://www.fieldscorewhitetails.com

The biologists on there use the add up one side method. What do the rest of you use to estimate a deer's gross score in the field?
Old 06-18-2009, 04:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Field Judging Whitetails

In south Alabama and NW Florida where I hunt I don't have to worry about culling 150 or so inch size deer. In 42 years of hunting I don't think I have ever seen but one or two livebucks that would score 150. I'm more into if I want to shoot it, I do. Welcome to the board......
Old 06-18-2009, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are a number of general " rules of thumb " that I won't get into here { I'll let the " experts " handle that-you know who you are- LOL }.

I've found that I can judge within about 5" or so,on the hoof, and have done so through the years. Once you get above 160 or so, at least for me, it starts getting incrementally tougher-as far as within 5". No magical feat, just a lot of experience doing so.

Of course , It helps immensely looking at 5, 135 " + class every day, and knowing exactly what those scored.

Thanks for sharing that Website!! Lots of fun!
Old 06-18-2009, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty cool website! I played and some of those pics where tough. I found out that I'm not very good on the areial views. I only did the first 43 pics, but I will do them all to see where I end up at.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:01 AM

I think I know what you are getting at Crokit with the link and all, but I was hoping they would let it slide since I'm a paying advertiser on their site. If not, I apologize.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't see the problem in it. Your a paying advertiser that is keeping this place going. Plus, it's very educational IMO and not to mention fun.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oidg

I think I know what you are getting at Crokit with the link and all, but I was hoping they would let it slide since I'm a paying advertiser on their site. If not, I apologize.

OIDG: I meant nothing negative about your post. I like the website your provided. Nothing more. I agree with Lunger