Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Newbie Shotgun hunter, slug for Encore 12ga? >

Newbie Shotgun hunter, slug for Encore 12ga?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Newbie Shotgun hunter, slug for Encore 12ga?

Old 06-13-2009, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default Newbie Shotgun hunter, slug for Encore 12ga?

Hey everyone,

Been hunting deer bow, rifle, blackpowder for 17 years, never used a shotgun. I'm missing out on a lot of management Shotgun only hunts in my state so I finally purchased one. I just got the Encore Pro Hunter with the 12ga 28" barrel. I am completely clueless on slugs for it. I know I should try a few different ones but they are pricey, I'd like to narrow it down to 3 types to start out with and hopefully get lucky. Any recommendations? Oh yeah, these are going to be for Maryland deer, so no bruisers. 70-80lb does, a 130-150lb buck would be really really nice here.A lot of the management hunt areas have overpopulation so deer I'm thinking will be on the smaller size. Average shot will be 30-75 yards I'd say. Thanks!!!
Old 06-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Newbie Shotgun hunter, slug for Encore 12ga?

From my 20" fully rifled barrel Remington 1100...I like Hornady SSTs...but they are pricy...$15 / box of 5.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd try Lightfield Hybred 2 3/4 (white box) sabots they shoot pretty good out of just about everything. Then buy a box of the Federals that I can't think of their name right now but they use the Barnes Expander MZ muzzleloader bullet. Awesome round if your gun will shoot them well. Then maybe some low priced Remington Buckhammers.....one never knows the cheapest might shoot the best. I'd like to know how you did with your choices even if you don't take my recommendations.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it's a rifled barrel, saboted slugs would work the best. If it's a smooth bore, Put an improved cylinder choke tube and try Brennecke slugs, they seem to shoot well in almost any smooth bore.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:01 PM
Typical Buck

if its a rifled barrel try hornady sst, lightfield,or brennecke...if u can afford it, i can shoot all 3 out of my H&R 12 ga real well, but i stuck with hornady. every gun is different. i would get on the websites of each brandmakers and check out their reviews on their products....good luck