Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Addition to my deer collection! >

Addition to my deer collection!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Addition to my deer collection!

Old 05-28-2009, 09:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Addition to my deer collection!

ORIGINAL: mossberghunter93

thats awesome and as cool as the mount/deer looks i really would never buy a mount that wasnt my kill JMO
To each his own... I felt like this magnificent beast was being disrespected by being thrown under a table on a dirty flea market floor, getting dirt thrown on him every time someone swept. I figured it was worth the $100 price tag to give him a more honorable resting place. I certainly don't try to pass him off as something I killed.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

ORIGINAL: mossberghunter93

thats awesome and as cool as the mount/deer looks i really would never buy a mount that wasnt my kill JMO
To each his own... I felt like this magnificent beast was being disrespected by being thrown under a table on a dirty flea market floor, getting dirt thrown on him every time someone swept. I figured it was worth the $100 price tag to give him a more honorable resting place. I certainly don't try to pass him off as something I killed.
I understand I wasnt suggesting that you were passing him off as your own.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Buying someone else's trophy is kinda like getting another guy to choke your chicken for you, the end result may be the same, but how can you possibly feel good about it? I'll never understand the compulsion to purchase someone else's success, and I certainly don't grasp why you'd want a fraudulent record too. Why not enter a road kill while you're at it?

I'd agree if we were talking about average sized mounts. But a record book mount is a novelty and a conversation piece, especially anything in the top 20 of all time. As long as you aren't dishonest about it.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:06 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

There's always a party pooper... Why is it a fraudulent record? He didn't say he was going to enter it as his kill. It's the buck that goes in the book, and a 170" blacktail belongs there.
If it's such a great animal then why didn't the hunter who shot it enter it?

Entering an animal you didn't personally shoot cheapens theaward and reduces it to a mere commodity that anyone with a Visa can attain,that's a form of fraud whether the rules of that particular book allow it or not.The purpose of record books is not just to admire the animal, they also serve to honor the accomplishment of the hunter who earned it. Oneshould also considerhow low standards any record book must have that would allow sheds or road kills, such "records" do no more than serve a prurient interest at best.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

I'll never understand the compulsion to purchase someone else's success,
Money, Guys buyand sell record book antlers all the time. They are antler collectorsor dealers. Really not much different than coin or stamp collectors/ dealers
Old 05-30-2009, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

KEVIN 1: The original owner may have had personal reasons. I have three buck that qualify for the NYS big Buck Club, but have only entered one, the first which is a bow kill from Wyoming County, NY. The other two are gun kills, one from the Adirondacks, 163", and one from the Southern tier, 142". Since my bow entry, I have what could best be described as a scoring beef with the NYS Big Buck Club, as well as the B&C system..,,That is, allowing the measurement of "air"- inside spread- to be added to score, but dissallowing or subtracting actual bone in many cases. Call it a protest or whatever.

I also, personally believe that the huge push for trophy entry/hunter recognition has led to large #'s of illegally taken animals to be entered. One of the best ways to help eliminate or at least reduce this is two pronged: Require a PSE exam-lie detector- and instead of the hunters name in the book, a code number, with the hunter receiving a certificate for the wall at home corresponding to that code #. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Finally, somebody gets it.A record unsupported by honorable endevor is little more than common idolatry, and is unworthy of recognition.

Crokit, I applaud your decision to beselective about what you've had scored, and what you've had entered into history, it displays the sense of honor that any such record deserves, and says a lot about you as a person.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

To each his own Kevin1. The deer was shot in 1958 and was sold to the previous owner at an estate auction. The previous owner is the one who had it scored and entered. So where's the harm. My names not gonna be in the book. I know the gentlemen's name who shot it and his name is going in the book. He'll get his recognition. I don't see what the big deal. I don't remember saying I shot him and am proud of him. I just know there's a market and sooner or later I will run into someone who will pay top dollar for him.

I have 3 P&Y bucks I've taken with a bow the highest 158. I haven't had any scored nor will I ever. I don't have to have in the books to be proud of him. So now that you know a little more maybe not such a big deal.