Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded? >

In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded?

Old 05-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded?

I and two other guys are thinking about putting an offer in on 80 heavily wooded acres in central Wisconsin (Antigo Area). Part of the by-laws we are thinking about incorporating into our hunting camp is each owner would be allowed to bring one other person to gun deer camp. That would total 6 hunters and would equal one hunter per 13.3 acres on average. This is not open field. This is 98% wooded and pretty thick. Pretty much all shots would be <100 yards. I am not too concerned about safety because of the dense wood cover and we will know where each other is posted. However, is this just too much pressure in too little area? And thereby, pushing most deer out of the area?

For those of you on this site that have a plethora of land. I have read some say they hunt 500 acres to themselves that is not feasible. First of all we cannot afford it. But secondly it is difficult to find 500 continuous acres these days in this part of the country.
Thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded?

I would say yes it is too many,2 maybe but if you want to keep deer on the property even 2 would have to be careful.If it is connect as part of a funnel or travel are you will be a little better but after a while they will start avoiding the area.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded?

it would take 6 guys that were really willing to work together ,thats hard to find . i have a few places that are under 10 acres and i kill lots of deer on them. if the 6 of you put up stands and were extra careful about the wind and scent ,then it may work. on any piece of property the deer need a safe place,a place the hide when danger aproaches. that place needs to be left alone ,no one goes into it unless you have to track a wounded animal.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it is too much.Just MO
Old 05-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

Put another way, that equates to 48 hunters per sq.mile (if my figures are right)
That would be 2 hunters for every deer in a good area,however if the surrounding land is not heavily hunted It can be done. You could limit the extra people to certain days.
RC
Old 05-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

What about 4 hunters per 80 acres? That would be 20 acres per hunter.

For the guy that said 2 hunters. You must not be from Wisconsin. I doubt 20% of gun deer camps have 40 acres per person.

There are 650,000 hunters in the woods for a 9 day season. No way every hunter gets 40 acres.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Fork Horn

Too many, I have 5 guys on 330 heavily wooded acres and I feel crowded. Cant imagine 6 guys on 80. I dont think its safe either, too much can happen and I know you think that the woods would stop any stray bullet but you really never know. I have hunted in southern Wisconsin, but I know that n. wisconsin is much more dense woods wise. I would say 4 would be safe, but then you just run the risk of running all the deer off the place.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes! We hunt 180acres with 2 guys...which we could probably hunt it with 4 guys, though it would limit where everyone could choose to go. So 4 guys on 180, I figure 2 guys on 80 would be more ideal...

Old 05-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

What is the surrounding land like? Is it fields woods swamp?

I hunt in wisconsin also in Green Bay I can walk into a patch of woods half the size of walmart and see deer everywhere if there are no corn fields close bye. I share 14 acers with another person caseu i enjoy hunting with friends. we do it fine and have a good plan. Last year we took 2 bucks the same day the bugger got the big 10 and i got an average 8 but I would still rather hunt with people casue Im social.

Ok back to the point 6 guys will work for the first day of gun season and then after that on 80 you have to pray that deer get scared to you land. Your going to push them out that first day. You could do it but they way it sounds your going to let people you dont know hunet with you. They might seem great now but what happens when they dont agree with you and they want to hunt the ridge that the big buck runs? I wouldnt try it unless the other 5 people knew it was my land and they went where i told them. After day one deer are on the run so your going to have to hope they run to your land.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

One per 40 acres is maximum IMHO.

Quick Reply: In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.