Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Iron sites with a scope

Old 05-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Spike

Default RE: Iron sites with a scope

One more thing, I love the look of that that rifle (having stainless and wood). It's slick.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Laminated wood stocks are made using wood and epoxy. The wood is usually birch, because it's hard but fairly inexpensive, and can be stained just about any color you could desire. The birch is cut into thin sheets (1/32" to 1/8" usually for gunstocks), dyed to the desired color, then the sheets are coated with a layer of epoxy and pressed together under high pressure, laminating the layers together to form a VERY strong stock blank that is basically high-grade plywood. The stock blank can then be shaped and inletted just like a standard solid hardwood stock. The advantage of laminate is that it is very strong, it resists moisture and weather almost as well as a synthetic stock by virtue of the epoxy it's bonded and sealed with, it's attractive and it feels like wood. The disadvantage is that laminate stocks tend to be somewhat heavier than both solid hardwood and synthetic stocks.

Mike
Old 05-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

In regards to your idea of using warne rings, excellent choice! I have both fixed and QR warnes on hunting rifles, they both have been rock solid after being put through some tough hunting situations.

In terms of see thrus, not a great idea. Most are weak in design, which causes a potential for POI shifting. Being they mount the scope higher they are more suspect to bums and snags, personally i don't want a weak design in such a case. BTW, i have used see thru's and my opinions are based on experiences I had with them. The theory was sound but not performance proved impractical for my hunting situations. Includes rough terrain, boats, atv, etc.

You mention variable being a downfallto a fixed scope, however a lot of fixed scopes used are in fact 4x, the lowest setting of a 3x variable gives up nothing in those tight spots compared to a 4x fixed. I to haven't had a problem with a variable scope and shooting in close. As long as you have the ability to go down to 3(ish) power, you should have no problems.

I have been in close quarters with many black bears, whileI respect all bears the only ones I fear are sows with cubs. Momma can be very aggressive if she feels her cubs safety are threatened. Young boars can be unpredictable as well however they usually will not fall through with agression, make lots of noise and stand your ground if you feel they are put off by your presence. Try not to startle a bear, unless shooting it!Bears have very good noses, most times they know your their. As a result, growls, jaw popping, bull rushing, etcbehaviours are exhibited. If you remain calm they often will come in or just move on if truly uncomfortable.I won't sayI haven't had somenervous momentsbut never felt truly threatened by a wild bear. Garbage eater ordump bears I fear as they have little to no fear of humans. BTW, I bow hunt bears and we aren't allowed to carry sidearms or back up.

Good luck.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Spike

Although I know my chances of getting attacked are next to nil, I found a list of black and brown bear attacks on wikipedia's website. Wiki is an open source encyclopedia, so you have to take it with a grain of salt, but it's something to keep in mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rica_by_decade

Obviously, the last few decades have seen an increase in reported cases. The more we encroach in nature's territory, the more it will push back. Wiki also admits this is an incomplete list.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:20 AM
Typical Buck

i can see no reason not to leave the scope on the gun all the time,just buy a low power scope a 2 power will focus across a room. get a 2x7 x40 and leave it on. i killed a bear at 30ft last season with a 4x12 scope.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are going away hunting bring a backup gun and pistol if possible. Don't forget to bring your pistol when you go to the outhouse.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I absolutely hate see-thru scope mounts. I'd second using lever QD scope mounts so that if your scope dumps or you just want to use the iron sights you'd be good to go..
Old 05-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those see-thru mounts are by far the cheapest, flimsiest mounts one can put on a rifle. I honestly see no reason to put any sort of removable or see-thru scope mounts on a deer/bear rifle. One will have more accuracy with a scope in just about any situation. I can't see iron sights benefiting anyone other than a very experienced rifleman, and a rifleman with experience would probably do just as well or better with a scope also, so again I can't see much benefit in iron sights for anyone.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:34 PM

I start my kids out on iron sights and me son made a shot at 220 yards with an open sight, one shot dead muley doe! I have seen my neighbors daughter make a 235 yard shot with an open sight 30-30. It can be done, and by kids! People have just gotten so used to scopes they are just not good shots without the glass. Technology taking over!!! Now I am not saying a scope is bad, I use them but I also use my irons for anything under 50 yards. At any which rate, I agree with the others don't waste money on iron sights if the gun doesn't have them then just get a good scope and 3 power is good for what ever you need.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe I'm just old school here but I wouldn't own a rifle without iron sights. I have see through mounts on all my rifles and have never had one ounce of trouble with them. The scope on my Remingtom 700 has been right on every year since I installed it in 1981 and I've never had to reset it. It's seen a lot of action as has my Marlin and my Knight and they are trouble free as well. As far as shooting the rifle, I find it more comfortable to shoot with the scope slightly elevated as opposed to having to lay down on the stock to see through the scope. Different strokes for different folks. I suppose that's why they make all sizes and shapes.

Here's that 10 point I took a few years back with my Remingtom 700 using open sights. Notice the scope. I was manovering to try to get a shot and at some point, I knocked some snow off of an overhanging limb and filled my scope. When I leveled up on him he was quartering away and at a fast walk and I couldn't see a thing. I imediately droped down on my iron sights and made a good shot at about 60 yards.

Quick Reply: Iron sites with a scope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.