HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Iron sites with a scope (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/293309-iron-sites-scope.html)

bmumford 05-03-2009 09:11 AM

Iron sites with a scope

I'm planning on doing some deer/black bear hunting in the mountains of Upstate New York this year. I just purchased a new rifle (Savage 116 in .30-06) and want to take it along. I'm planning to hunt both from a tree stand and on the ground. I had been planning on buying a Leupold 3.5-10x40 VX-3 because this is going to be my all-around hunting rifle.

Some up-close hunting situations (lots of foliage coupled with shooting from a tree stand for example) require a low power scope (which is often fixed). My question this: aside from backing up my scope in the event it’s unusable, is there an advantage to having backup iron sights added to my gun (that I can get to by using a quick release system for my scope rings)? I’m going to be in black bear territory as well.

I think iron sites, which we seem to only see on muzzleloaders these days, look cool. Scopes are pretty reliable, but there is the possibility of dropping them on a rock or something rendering them unusable on a week long hunt (and I don't exactly have the money for backup glass).

I also figure that hunters were using iron sights to hunt game for a long time. I would imagine shooting something within 40 yards from a tree stand is more than doable with iron sites. It also takes a little more skill than what is needed after you've magnified your target.

Any thoughts? Are there drawbacks to mounting iron sights? Are there clearance issues mounting iron sights and a scope simultaneously?

whitetail_fanatic 05-03-2009 10:11 AM

RE: Iron sites with a scope

I dont have any issues with scope clearance on my 700ADL 30-06. I can see were using detachable rings would make iron sights usefull, I'v never needed them though.

ADV. Hunter 05-03-2009 11:33 AM

What about using a set of see through scope bases? I would say that 3 power would be low enough for a 40 yard shot, even a 10 yard shot. Just keep in mind are you sighting your scope in at 100, or 200 yards, keep in mind that your bullet will be high and that you should practice shooting at close distances as well to get used to shooting your rifle. Iron sights are an invaluable asset in my opinion as you stated not many people as you said carry a back up rifle scope and if one did your hunt would be over for a while, at least till you get the new scope on and sighted in. If you had iron sights you would still be able to take a shot if needed!

WVCritter 05-03-2009 12:09 PM

I have scopes mounted on see through mounts on all my rifles so that I can use my iron sights if necessary. I took my biggest buck to date with iron sights at about 60 yards.

bmumford 05-03-2009 01:51 PM

Whitetail, what kind of setup including rings and base do you have on your 700ADL?

timbercruiser 05-03-2009 01:53 PM

I don't remember having a need of iron sights on a rifle. I've shot deer as close as 5 yards using a scope. The high mounted see thru mounts make shooting a rifle a little unnatural over standard mounts IMHO. I had rather have a quality scope mounted with standard quality rings and bases.

bmumford 05-03-2009 02:10 PM

ADV, interesting idea (using see through scope bases). Does the scope have to be raised higher off the action/barrel for those to work?

I'm new to shooting, so excuse my ignorance, but I have never tried looking through a an ocular on 3x and firing at something rapidly from a tree or while walking through thick brush.

The reason I mention that is because my sister has a black bear problem at her house. They've broken into her car (the one time she accidently left an unopened mustard container and a package of rolls she was bringing on vacation the next day). They go on her porch, they've cornered my nephews scaring the bejesus out of them until they called her on her cell phone and had their older brother come out with their dog; things like that. They also walk through her yard with cubs...and that's the real danger.

I know black bear are usually timid and nothing to worry about, but I'm going to be hunting on her property half way up a mountain. I may only be able to see a few feet in front of me in some places while I'm getting from point A to point B. I remember watching Bear Grylls walking through blackbear territory explaining that, although bear attacks aren't common, when they do happen, they usually happen to hunters. Not only that, but that the bears sneak up on you and actually hunt you (as opposed to brown bear which is just about protecting their young and a territorial thing).

Black bear have 7x the smell of a blood hound, they run 30 mph, and they climb trees faster than a human can run. Again, I know I probably have a better chance of being struck by lightening on my hunt, but I don’t want to tempt fate. Are iron sights easier/quicker to acquire a target than my 3.5-10x40 scope? The more I think about mounting the see through rings the more I’m interested in them. There has to be a reason why everyone isn’t using them though.

ADV. Hunter 05-03-2009 02:27 PM

Yes but not drastically, it does take some getting used to if you've never used them. In a charge situation I think that it would happen so fast that you would probably go for the quickest shot you'll have and that will probably be what ever you get to first and if not probably an off hand shot. I have yet to be charged and really don't want to be but I carry a 12 gauge pump just for such an occasion.

As timbercruiser stated you can shoot very close with a scope, your bullet will not jump much in the first 0-25 yards (nor have reached its twist to velocity rate) but it will be lethal just the same...

bmumford 05-03-2009 02:37 PM

Timber, is it because the scope is mounted higher?

salukipv1 05-03-2009 02:38 PM

my bar .270 has iron sights on it, for I guess if the scope ever did bust I'd have them as a back up option. Though really that's why you bring 2 rifles on a hunt...I'd much rather have a back up rifle than switching up to rifle sights.