Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone ever???......

Old 04-30-2009, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone ever???......

Had your tree that your treestand is on be stuck by lightning?

Happened to me this year.

If this hasn't happened to you, what are some interesting things that have happened while you were out?
Old 04-30-2009, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anyone ever???......

I had a ladder stand crushed when the tree it was on blew over in gale-force winds. That was ten years ago, and it's still there under the rotting log.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

At my friends grandpa theres a 20ft ladder stand wrapped around a tree one and a half times. dont know how but his dad thought a tornadoe.Any ones else seen that before?
Old 04-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I showed up nice and early to hunt and found the tree my stand was in had fallen over from a storm. That sucked![:@]
Old 05-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

After hunting the openning morning of archery two years ago, my father and I were riding our ATVs around to check out our other stand sites.

One of my father's stands is a "permanent" wooden platform about 20 feet up overlooking a grown-up logging road. Dad had put a "cheap" metal lawn chair up on that platform the year before and anchored it with screws. The damage was massive. It appeared that during a storm, lightning had indeed struck the chair, blasting it to pieces (save for the bottom rail, still screwed to the platform), burning a substantial part of the platform and splitting the tree trunk.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Came REAL close while hunting land between Attica and Warsaw NY back in the '70's. Got " barked " by a tree next to the one I had climbed-less than 10ft- when it was struck by lightning.

Aside from my ears ringing for several days, none the worse for wear. What did stay with me for awhile was the smell that was created: not of burning wood, but in my pants, JK LOL. Really though, the smell of ether/starting fluid type of sumpi'n.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

a permanent one I use to hunt at a friends farm was hit during the off season...still was in tack...though half a tree remained and it would sway quite a bit...though it was the best spot!