Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First Buck

Old 04-29-2003, 03:56 PM

Default First Buck

My first buck that I got was on my second year of hunting. My uncle and grandpa decided to do a drive to me. Sure enough a buck came running up. He stopped when he saw me. That seven pointer is now on my wall. How big was your first buck and how many years did you hunt till you got it.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:50 PM
Matriarch Doe!

Default RE: First Buck

I killed my first buck my first year. It was a 2x3 blacktail. I saw it and it saw me, so I tracked it for awhile, and like they often do, it bedded down in some thick brush and tried to hide. I shot it in the neck with 00buck from about 8 feet away and it dropped like a rock. I was so excited I could barely remember how to gut it. I' m not very big and ended up cutting a ways up through the middle of the ribs to get ahold of everything. It wasn' t till I got it home to hang it that I realized I had scratched the crap out of my arms on the ribs. That stung a bit for awhile. It may not have been the biggest deer, but I couldn' t have been prouder!
Old 04-29-2003, 05:33 PM

It will be 30 years ago this coming season. Opening morning. The very first time I stepped in the woods with a rifle in my hand, my Dad sat me down on his favorite big boulder that was one of his " stands" . At 7:30 a four point come strolling along. About 75 yards with a bolt action 30-30 with open sights one shot and he dropped in his tracks. I' ll never forget it...THANKS DAD!!!

10 years ago Dad passed away, and while I do have a few nice shoulder mounts, this little four point " rack" is on the wall of my cabin next to a narly old non-typical he shot a looooong time ago. I still hunt the same area. Don' t see a whole lot of deer but some dandies have been taken over the years.

On a similar note....this past year I mentioned to my sister that I wish I could find some of Dad' s old hunting photos. Well, sneaky old sis knew where they were and framed a few of them with him and his buddies back in the early 1940' s in their tents with the old knee high laced boots and all the other old nostalgia type things. Pretty cool!!!!! While I received a few other great presents for Christmas, this one was the best one.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

my first buck was about hour and half into the first day of the season going into stand went through the creek and water went in my boots . did not have any extra socks so i squeezed them out while on the stand . it was about 20 degrees out so i was freezing about an hour in i made a few grunts and waited at about 1 hour and 20 minutes a nice 5 point came looking for the other buck came right up to where i had crossed the creek and i dropped him there about 35 yards. funny thing my feet were not cold after that
Old 04-30-2003, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

i got my first buck this yr. i got a 4x4 kinda. couple tines were broke off. was the oldest buck shot in our groupe and figured it was the dominate of the area cuz of the tines broken off and it was big dressed out at about 210. been huntin whitetail for 3 yrs now.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:07 AM

My first buck was a 4x4. I shot him in 1995. Big body. He was an old deer. Got him on a fence line using the drive tactic.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

still trying
Old 05-01-2003, 06:26 PM

I took my first buck in my second year of hunting it was a small 3 point but i was proud of lt.that was 18 years ago,How time flies.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

It was about 36 years ago, nice 7 point that I mounted.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:19 AM

i got one on my first ever hunt it was a spike but boy was i proud showing the pics at school.[:-]