Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Are Gun hunters using tree stands >

Are Gun hunters using tree stands

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are Gun hunters using tree stands

Old 04-20-2009, 02:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are Gun hunters using tree stands

I hunt from a ladder stand about 75% of the time
Old 04-20-2009, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't always hunt from a stand. Usually the first two or three days I'll be in a stand or blind at first and last light. During midday I'll get up and move around to survey the area or move into a different area.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt as high as I can during most of the deer seasons. A few other guys in camp do the same and always prefer to be in a treestand.
A few other buddies always hunt from the ground. They want no part of treestands and do as well as most other guys.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted tree stands before. It's nice and I will do it again. But I prefer ground blinds.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I gun hunt exclusively, and I have and will use a stand if one is available and the conditions are right to use it, and so does my brother who's also a gun only hunter. I probably do 90% of my hunting from the ground either walking or sitting against a tree, because I like the flexibility of being able to easily move if conditions change.

I don't know why your brother thinks that gun hunters do not use tree stands. The purpose of the stand remains the same regardless of the type of weapon used, which is to get the hunter up and out of the deer's line-of-sight. Stands are also useful for gun hunters to allow them to take advantage of the rifle's reach, because the higher vantage point allows the rifle hunter to see farther, have a less obstructed shot, and ensures that he's almost always shooting down toward the ground for safety.

Mike

Old 04-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

What's the problem with gun hunting out of a tree stand? All of my deer hunting, whether gun or bow, is done out of some type of stand. I sometimes bow and gun hunt out of the same lock ons. I usually gun hunt out of a tripod.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:12 PM

I mainly use a climbing tree stand when using a rifle,shotgun,or primitive weapon.I also set up a couple of ladder stands.The only time I hunt from the ground is when we run dogs about a week each season.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Of course gun hunters use tree stands.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt from treestands, however I have to say that almost all of my deer have been shot from the ground and not from the stand, but, still I use them...specifically on early and afternoon sits.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

You win. Been using tree stands since 1960's. It was home-made ladders back then. Started using a "climber" with the original "Baker" back in the 1970's. Man how the designs have improved!!! You could not pay me enough $$$ to get me in one of these Baker's again ... though at the time they were the cat's meow. Also use lock-on's and commercially built ladder stands for hunting out of trees.

Many, many of my buddies use tree stands as well. Most popular makes down this way are Summit, API and Ol' Man.

Quick Reply: Are Gun hunters using tree stands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.