Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Just hunt already!

Old 04-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Just hunt already!

Im aware this isnt exactly an original thought but after responding to a bunch of similar posts lately...

Why do some hunters feel the need to "one up" the rest of us? Why is it so important for some hunters to feel they need to "do it the hard way" or put unnecessary restrictions on themselves and their equipment. I hunt all seasons, for most game, and Ive hunted from maine to texas but mostly in NY. Some of the hardest hunting Ive ever done was with a rifle in my hand ,and bait in front of me ,and some of the easiest slam dunks were kills with my bow on public land with only natural browse for bait. Of course I dont need to shoot somthing to have a good time hunting ,but I certainly, at least intend to kill somthing everytime I go out. Why would someone wake up hours before sunlight, in freezing cold weather, and lug a bunch of expensive gear into the woods ,if they didnt intend to kill somthing? Might as well just go hiking. That said, if we can all agree we are out to kill, why would someone not want to arm themselves with the most effective weapons and tactics allowed by law? I have game on my walls taken w/ bow ,gun and ML but I honestly dont value the stuff killed with my bow, or on public land, or not over bait, anymore than the others, and they sure didnt taste any better because i "did it the hard way". I have no problem w/ someone choosing their bow over a rifle in gun season, or to hunt funnels instead of bait ,if they think they can actually be more effective that way, but the logic in thinking that makes you a better hunter, is flawed and counterproductive IMO.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Just hunt already!

Good post! I think to a certain extent we all have some degree of competitiveness. However, most of what I see is arrogant, rudeness! A competitive nature is not rudeness or arrogance in itself, but when it is used to make one look better, smarter or, the classic "ethical and moral superiority," that is exactly what it is! RUDE and ARROGANT!
Ethics does have it's rightful place! But, if you are abiding by the laws of the area that you are hunting and you feel in your heart that you are doing right, IT IS NOBODY'S BUSINESS TO TELL YOU THAT YOU ARE WRONG!
If you hunt in an area that allows baiting, certain weapons or certain calibers, you are OK! There is no law that says that "YOU HAVE TO DO IT THAT WAY! At the same time, you don't get more "style points" for doing it a different way!
B&C does not accept "high fence" bucks! P&Y already gives you credit for using a bow!
So, not everyone is a "trophy hunter," not all of us have the blessings to hunt "natural trophy areas." Some may not have the time or health to do things the hard way! But it is a shame that a fraternity that should be so close, with the love for wildlife and outdoors as we Hunters have, there will always be some, who for whatever twisted reasoning, must place themselves above others, with rude and pompous arrogance!

Old 04-14-2009, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DeerandbearhoG

Im aware this isnt exactly an original thought but after responding to a bunch of similar posts lately...

Why do some hunters feel the need to "one up" the rest of us? Why is it so important for some hunters to feel they need to "do it the hard way" or put unnecessary restrictions on themselves and their equipment. but the logic in thinking that makes you a better hunter, is flawed and counterproductive IMO.
Not all people who choose methods of hunting that present more challenge do so in an attemp to "one up" others. Not all people who choose restrictive methods feel they are better hunters. Some of us do it for the PERSONAL challenge and don't care what others think. It's posts like this one that deter me from sharing my passions of alternate methods.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's all good as long as it's legal!
I don't care if people hunt with a sling shot or arrows they carved out of an old telephone pole.
If you want to impress me then kill a hog like Rambo did!

Lighten up, I really don't care what others doooooo (as long as it's legal)

I just browse over posts that do not interest my personal tastes, who gives a crap, to each to own...
Old 04-14-2009, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't care what people use to kill their game... as long as it's legal & ethical. I applaud people who can consistanly kill w/ more primitive weapons, but I do agree, that no other hunter should be put down for their weapon selection...
Old 04-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

ORIGINAL: DeerandbearhoG

Why do some hunters feel the need to "one up" the rest of us? Why is it so important for some hunters to feel they need to "do it the hard way" or put unnecessary restrictions on themselves and their equipment. but the logic in thinking that makes you a better hunter, is flawed and counterproductive IMO.
Not all people who choose methods of hunting that present more challenge do so in an attemp to "one up" others. Not all people who choose restrictive methods feel they are better hunters. Some of us do it for the PERSONAL challenge and don't care what others think. It's posts like this one that deter me from sharing my passions of alternate methods.
I guess my point was that I dont believe the weapon or bait you use, is as much of a determining factor, in what makes a hunt challenging, as some hunters think it does. For example, whats more of a challenge, trying to kill a deer after the first couple days of gun season, well after any rut activity has ended and increased human activity has got deer hardley moving, OR during bow season when deer are walikng around at all times of the day with little concern about human activity? Must be the bowhunt right? why ? cause it only shoots 30yds? is the gun really easier just cause it shoots farther? shoot farther at what? if the deer arent moving all the fiepower and bait in the world isnt gonna put a deer in back of your truck. Thats why I say the logic in self imposing restrictions on you equipment is flawed, because I think there are too many other factors in what makes a hunt "challenging". However even if the weapon you use did make it more of a challenge , why is that so important to some hunters? does it make the meat taste better? does it make the rack look better on your wall? did "doing it the hard way" really make it any more enjoyable of a hunt? I doubt it.