Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

do salt blocks work well?

Old 04-06-2009, 11:04 AM

Default do salt blocks work well?

im trying to bring deer down towrd my stand so they have a path they follow
even though i have to take it out before deer season
do you guys have any luck with a salt block?
Old 04-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: do salt blocks work well?

Yes they work ,but they need to be put out early Spring, Deer will dig up the ground after awhile for the salt, putting out in Fall is waste of time
RC
Old 04-07-2009, 09:30 AM

It works ,but where I hunt it's against the law.I'm no outlaw,but I've buried a few salt blocks in my time when I was young.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

anyone use trophy rock
Old 04-07-2009, 03:50 PM

I think they would work because in the winter time we put salt down to eat the ice up and we saw deer tracks up to our driveway so they must work.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:26 AM

Yes, they work. In my area of the country, they work best May thru September. I don't get many trail cam pics over the salt block after the weather turns cold.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:35 AM
Spike

I have never tried this, but I heard that you can dig a small hole and put softner salt pellets is it and dump a five gallon pail of water on it. I was told that deer love it and they will use it year after year. I might try it this year.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Make your own it works. Just make sure it is legal in your state. It's cheap for about #200 lbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO7febTmcN4
Old 04-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes ... but as others mentioned make sure that it is legal. Some states do not allow any minerals to be out during the season. Some, like Alabama, restrict the formulation of the minerals. Here is can be only NaCl. Every other mineral mix is illegal .. including commercial stuff like Come Mere Deer, Deer Cocaine, Stump Licker and molasses blocks, trace mineral salt, and such used for cattle mineral supplementation.

When the deer find the stuff, they will rip up the ground where a NaCl block, pelletized NaCl and/or granulated NaCl have been used to make a "lick". Get it out now and keep it refurbished as the stuff is being dug up.

Granulated salt here is about $6.00/50#.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

Salt blocks will attract deer but I rarely see them use them during hunting season. In terms of nutrition, a salt block brings nothing to the equation and in fact, I've read that they do more harm than good. Using a mineral licks, especially the home brew recipes that you can find on this site, are great.

Quick Reply: do salt blocks work well?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.