HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   hunting Camo patterns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/290585-hunting-camo-patterns.html)

CTJohnB 03-30-2009 05:35 AM

hunting Camo patterns

Hey all, I am looking to buy some new camo this year for Fall, But with so many different patterns to choose it is tough to make up my mind ! I am considering Cabella's giillie leaf camo, But I was wondering what are some of the better patterns to use.
I typically hunt oaks and pine area's, or does it really matter what pattern you wear ?
I saw one program on verses where the guy was wearing the winter real tree style saying when the leaves come down your better with the white back ground against the sky ?? verses your typical real tree pattern. I was just wondering what you guys think.
Thanks

omegasmoke 03-30-2009 06:29 AM

RE: hunting Camo patterns

I would go with whatever is on sale. LOL. I personally don't think the pattern reallymakes a lot of difference. Your just trying to eliminate looking to blocky. Any of your realtree,mossy oak etc. woodsy patterns will suffice in my opinion.

Jimmy S 03-30-2009 08:01 AM

ORIGINAL: omegasmoke

I would go with whatever is on sale. LOL. I personally don't think the pattern reallymakes a lot of difference. Your just trying to eliminate looking to blocky. Any of your realtree,mossy oak etc. woodsy patterns will suffice in my opinion.
I agree, good points made.
Any camo similar to your local woods, should do just fine.
Keeping movement down is crucial.
There's only 3 ways a deer will know you are in his woods. He will see/hear/smell you.
If you are quiet, he can't hear you. If you're not moving, he may not know you're there.
If he doesn't hear you or see you but he smells you - you will always be busted.
You can sometimes fool his eyes and ears but you can never fool his nose.

Get a set of camo, stay quiet and keep you movement to a minimum and always hunt the wind.
That's about the best you can do.
Good Luck!

rozman62 03-30-2009 08:12 AM

If your hunting on the ground and on the move stay in the shadows and hug tree to tree. You could be camo mismatched to your surroundings and still be effective with this approach. I tend to hunt 15-20ft treestands more than 90% of the time so I stay with mossy oak and realtree hardwoods camo patterns.

SWThomas 03-30-2009 09:06 AM

I take Bill Jordans advice and use Realtree AP. Mossy Oak is just too dark and will make you a dark human silhouette from a distance. I don't think camo is too important when hunting deer, but it definitely is when hunting gobblers. I buy something I can use for everything.

timbercruiser 03-30-2009 01:20 PM

I like the Realtree AP, but as long as you hunt the wind I don't think it makes much difference. Bass Pro had the coveralls on sale a couple of weeks ago for about $70.

shottyhunter24 03-30-2009 01:58 PM

depends on the area your hunting
i wouldent use like a forest camo when your in a corn field

scentgeru 03-30-2009 02:36 PM

Check out Gods country cao if you uae stands
Very open Pattern

mohunter82 03-30-2009 04:01 PM

i use realtree ap and apg in late season for open pattern. and MO obssession for gobblers

marlin30/30_drabe 03-30-2009 04:14 PM

just get whats on sale i have realtree hardwoods bibs and a mossy oak jacket and a 3 in 1 jacket thats 17+ years old

bigbulls 03-30-2009 05:29 PM

Of the main line patterns I think that MO treestand and RT all purpose are two of the better ones.
Honestly, the Walmart camo pattern, I think it's called fusion????, is better than MOBU or RTHD at actually breaking up your outline and tricking a deer's eyes.

If you want something that actually, really works to fool an animalseyes then there really are only two choices IMHO. #1 is ASAT and #2 is Predator.
Gods country isn't lagging too far behind these two though.

skeeter 7MM 03-30-2009 05:31 PM

For the most part I wear predator brand camo based on the needs. If green I still find spring green to be the best whether the pines or just green vegetation it works very well.Here green turns pretty quickly and becoming a fan of evolution for this transition period (it works wlel in the grasslands as well before everything has lost it's color).Following that I wearfall grey in the woods,(an excellentlater season tree stand pattern BTW)I don't hunt in a tree but it's the best pattern i've seen forthe willow andpoplar runs I hunthere.

I was given some Nat. Gear and now use it when hunting the open terrain. I basically replaced my brown predator camo with it...price was right and like it too boot;).

I only buy pants when i need them and for the most part it is new fall grey ones at that, I am more concerned with the upper body as a ground hunter. I agree camo is more for the hunter then the game and if you don't pick spots that offer natural concealment your limiting yourself severely. That said if I'm going to wear camo I will wear something I like, is comfortable and works for the area.

kevin1 03-31-2009 03:58 AM

Natural Gear is extremely tough to beat in any terrain, I've had deer justa few yardsaway from me while wearing it look dead at me without alarming. I've had a similar result from ASAT, not sure why it works, but it definitely does.

Hindustan Hick 03-31-2009 05:05 AM

I use mostly Realtree but I have to agree with Omega. I usually just buy what is one sale I don't think a leafy suit would help much if you are hunting in pines because pines give pretty good cover as it is. I hunt in a orchard so it is a little more open so i use just a leafy suit top and they don't pick me off

SWThomas 03-31-2009 08:41 AM

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

I like the Realtree AP, but as long as you hunt the wind I don't think it makes much difference. Bass Pro had the coveralls on sale a couple of weeks ago for about $70.
So you would go hunting in shorts and a tank top? As long as youhunt the wind it doesn't matter right?

teedub31 03-31-2009 09:48 AM

I have been using Cabelas Seclusion 3D for about 4 years. Looks abrassive when wearing it in the house, but does an awsome job in the field mimmicking the dominate colors you are hunting in. My typical gear works great in the spring, fall and winter where I hunt (Indiana). Plus the Cabelas pattern is usually $10 cheaper per garment compared the the licensed name brand patterns.

Mojotex 03-31-2009 11:53 AM

Not trying to get philosophical here, but ever had the good fortune to see a fox, coyote or bob-cat stalk prey?
While their coloration is certainly successful, there is no debate which is best !?! It is not the "camouflage". It is the ability to hunt !! These predatorsare usually successful when they ...#1 Stay down wind. #2 Remain mouse quiet. #3 Keep an eye on the game and move, most of the time ever so slightly and ever so slowly and only when clear to do so.#4 Get close enough to strike within their range.In my oipinion theseare clues for us!Any woodsy colored stuff that is mouse quiet will work fine!

CTJohnB 03-31-2009 07:56 PM

WoW Great feedback Thank You everyone

hoosierbuckslayer 04-04-2009 11:15 AM

Realtree ap asll the way

peakrut 04-04-2009 01:28 PM

If you get a chance check out www.ultimatecamo.com as our very own Diesel77 (Andy) in the archery
forum is the owner.

T