Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting Camo patterns

Old 03-30-2009, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default hunting Camo patterns

Hey all, I am looking to buy some new camo this year for Fall, But with so many different patterns to choose it is tough to make up my mind ! I am considering Cabella's giillie leaf camo, But I was wondering what are some of the better patterns to use.
I typically hunt oaks and pine area's, or does it really matter what pattern you wear ?
I saw one program on verses where the guy was wearing the winter real tree style saying when the leaves come down your better with the white back ground against the sky ?? verses your typical real tree pattern. I was just wondering what you guys think.
Thanks
Old 03-30-2009, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: hunting Camo patterns

I would go with whatever is on sale. LOL. I personally don't think the pattern reallymakes a lot of difference. Your just trying to eliminate looking to blocky. Any of your realtree,mossy oak etc. woodsy patterns will suffice in my opinion.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: omegasmoke

I would go with whatever is on sale. LOL. I personally don't think the pattern reallymakes a lot of difference. Your just trying to eliminate looking to blocky. Any of your realtree,mossy oak etc. woodsy patterns will suffice in my opinion.
I agree, good points made.
Any camo similar to your local woods, should do just fine.
Keeping movement down is crucial.
There's only 3 ways a deer will know you are in his woods. He will see/hear/smell you.
If you are quiet, he can't hear you. If you're not moving, he may not know you're there.
If he doesn't hear you or see you but he smells you - you will always be busted.
You can sometimes fool his eyes and ears but you can never fool his nose.

Get a set of camo, stay quiet and keep you movement to a minimum and always hunt the wind.
That's about the best you can do.
Good Luck!
Old 03-30-2009, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

If your hunting on the ground and on the move stay in the shadows and hug tree to tree. You could be camo mismatched to your surroundings and still be effective with this approach. I tend to hunt 15-20ft treestands more than 90% of the time so I stay with mossy oak and realtree hardwoods camo patterns.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I take Bill Jordans advice and use Realtree AP. Mossy Oak is just too dark and will make you a dark human silhouette from a distance. I don't think camo is too important when hunting deer, but it definitely is when hunting gobblers. I buy something I can use for everything.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like the Realtree AP, but as long as you hunt the wind I don't think it makes much difference. Bass Pro had the coveralls on sale a couple of weeks ago for about $70.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

depends on the area your hunting
i wouldent use like a forest camo when your in a corn field
Old 03-30-2009, 02:36 PM

Check out Gods country cao if you uae stands
Very open Pattern
Old 03-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

i use realtree ap and apg in late season for open pattern. and MO obssession for gobblers
Old 03-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Typical Buck

just get whats on sale i have realtree hardwoods bibs and a mossy oak jacket and a 3 in 1 jacket thats 17+ years old

Quick Reply: hunting Camo patterns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.