Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Any way to make jerky from deer steaks without a dryer? >

Any way to make jerky from deer steaks without a dryer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any way to make jerky from deer steaks without a dryer?

Old 03-26-2009, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

Default Any way to make jerky from deer steaks without a dryer?

Is there any way to make jerky from deer steaks without a dryer/dehydrator?
Old 03-26-2009, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any way to make jerky from deer steaks without a dryer?

Yes, in an oven.You can put them directly on the oven rack or on a pizza pan (with holes in it), on low heat around 200 degrees give or take. It is very important to leave the oven door cracked about an inch or a little more. It will take around three hours but on some ovens this can be longer, or shorter. Keep an eye on it. I now have a dehydrator, but this is the way my brother an I used to do it, and it works well.

Good luck to you
Old 03-26-2009, 06:51 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks!

I am planning on marinating the steaks first, then slicing them, then drying them. Is this how you did it? Thanks again.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

I would slice it up first and then marinate. You will get a lot more flavor on each piece.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Since jerky was being made at least 500 years ago, I would think so...

That's where the name buccaneer came from...

You could also make over a fire with the jerky hanging on sticks or even slowly dried on a charcoal grill...
Old 03-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've always used the oven method. Here's my proceedure:

Slice the meat in strips and remove all the fat. I like to have the meat "soft" frozen when I slice it. It makes it easier to get nice even slices (important). If you have a meat slicer it works even better. Let thaw the rest of the way in the fridge. Put the strips in 4qt freezer bags with marinade, then marinate for at least 24 hours in the fridge turning the bags every few hours. Then I take the strips and place a wooden toothpick through the end of each strip and hang them from the highest rack of the oven so they dangle freely from the toothpick. This allows you to do larger batches, and it ensures that the warm air circulates evenly around each strip. The meat should not touch any adjacent strips, and it's best to get them as evenly spaced as possible, to promote even drying.

Place a drip pan under the meat on the lowest rack (very important, or you'll turn your whole house into a smoker and could start a fire). Turn the oven on the lowest setting possible and prop open the door with a wooden spoon or other wooden or metal utencil. Don't use plastic, as some plastic cookware will melt or bend even at this heat (don't ask how I know). Depending on how hot the oven is, and how thick the slices of meat are, the drying process will take about 3-6 hours. Make sure you check the meat every hour, because once they start to really get dry, it's easy to overdo it and you'll have rawhide instead of muscle jerky.

One of these days I'll get myself a proper dehydrator or smoker, but this method has always yielded acceptable results if I do my part to keep tabs on the process.

Mike

Old 03-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stonewall, yes I marinade them and cut them into strips. I usually marinade them overnight, sometimes a little longer. Looks like you got a lot of good info from people
Old 03-27-2009, 04:39 AM
Typical Buck

I think this is what I'll be doing with all the rest of my deer steak. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:44 AM
Typical Buck

I also use the oven method, and make both sliced and ground jerky. This link has some of the best home made marinates that I have seen. You can also buy jerky spices already mixed that are very good.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3252443
Old 03-27-2009, 05:31 AM

a dryer works better for more flavore
check out nesco they have a alot of jurky stuff

Quick Reply: Any way to make jerky from deer steaks without a dryer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.